360 bends, NOT AGAIN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROI

I am no english major and I have read coments as far back as 1979. 358.26
"There shall not be more than the equivalant of four quarter bends (360 degrees total) between pull points"
  1. If it was leagal to put 1 - 360 degrees of bend in a single bend, the code would say 360 degrees total, and end.
  2. Four quarter bends translates to mean not more than 90 degrees in a single bend (90 = 1/4 of 360).
  3. Any bend beyond 90 degrees, while sometimes impressive, is illegal.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
"There shall not be more than the equivalant of four quarter bends (360 degrees total) between pull points"
  1. If it was leagal to put 1 - 360 degrees of bend in a single bend, the code would say 360 degrees total, and end.
  2. Four quarter bends translates to mean not more than 90 degrees in a single bend (90 = 1/4 of 360).

The key here, IMO is the word equivalent. It does not say no bend can be more than 90 degrees so I would say yes you could make a circle.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree with Dennis. I concede that the word "equivalent" is open to interpretation. But by my way of thinking, a set of bends of 80, 120, 150, and 10 is equivalent to four bends of 90.

renosteinke

When might you make a bend greater than 90 degrees?

Well, I've seen plenty of light posts with 'gooseneck' bends. Field made and looking good!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Any bend beyond 90 degrees, while sometimes impressive, is illegal.

Not true.

8- 219 - (345-11, 346-11): Reject

SUBMITTER:

Bruce Mitchell, Thornton, CO

RECOMMENDATION

:

Revise text to read as follows:
The cumulative total of all angles formed by bending of the
conduit between pull points (e.g. conduit bodies and boxes) shall
not exceed 360?.

SUBSTANTIATION:

Current language is imprecise and could be

interpreted as implying that any bend greater than a quarter (90?) is
not allowed.

PANEL ACTION:

Reject.

PANEL STATEMENT:

The existing text adequately explains the

requirements for conduit bends. Four quarter bends is used as an
example and does not limit the angle of any bend to 90 degrees or
less.

NUMBER OF PANEL MEMBERS ELIGIBLE TO VOTE:

VOTE ON PANEL ACTION:
AFFIRMATIVE: 13

NOT RETURNED: 1 Corry

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

As Roger stated the 4-quarter bends are an example. At least you said NOT AGAIN in the title, as this has come up before.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

iwire

Staff member
I also agree with Roger and have made more than a few bends well beyond 90 to match a pitched roof after rising up a vertical column.

tkb

So using your logic, would any bend under 90 degrees also be illegal?

iwire

Staff member
I doubt I have ever counted offsets that are less than 1/2 the diameter of the pipe. I know that is wrong but it I am just being honest about it.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I doubt I have ever counted offsets that are less than 1/2 the diameter of the pipe. I know that is wrong but it I am just being honest about it.

I have never met an inspector that counts small box offsets, and I know a strict one.

At best, a person could guess at how many degrees a small box offset takes up. Especially with EMT and a hand bender.

As far as 1/2 the pipe diameter, that would mean a 1/4 inch offset for 1/2 inch pipe. I am pretty sure that you would need more than that for most boxes. So, how do you determine the angles of the offsets? They would be pretty tough to measure with any degree of accuracy. (Pun not originally intended, but mind changed later)

Status
Not open for further replies.