Arc Flash PPE - Layering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any one have a good reference point or standard that explains the layering process as it applies to arc rated clothing. I am looking to get a better understanding of this and how it applies to outerwear. Can you just add the protective amounts up to get to the desired level of protection? I am not sure.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
There are several factors that go into determining the effect of layering. Ask your clothing supplier.

But, in general 2+2=5, because you get credit for the air trapped between the layers.

zog

There are several factors that go into determining the effect of layering. Ask your clothing supplier.

But, in general 2+2=5, because you get credit for the air trapped between the layers.

No, 2+2=4. Layered PPE needs to be tested and rated as a system to get that higher rating.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Well your post was very misleading, there is no formula to factor in "credit" for layering.
I am sorry that a generalization of a potential benefit was so confusing that it obscured my point.

"There are several factors that go into determining the effect of layering. Ask your clothing supplier."

Arc Flash PPE - Layering

If it is tough for you two more learned individuals to decide, please imagine how I feel. Thank you for your input.
Understand more questions are coming, OMG!
I am sorry that a generalization of a potential benefit was so confusing that it obscured my point.

"There are several factors that go into determining the effect of layering. Ask your clothing supplier."

Status
Not open for further replies.