wire mold

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I was visiting my wife at the rehab place she has been staying lately after she was brutally attacked by a mud puddle in our driveway resulting in a broken arm and ankle.

I noticed some plug mold was used to wire some outside lights. They are under roof, but its open to the outside, not far off from a covered porch situation.

Isn't plugmold only for dry areas? Not that I think the install is dangerous. Just not code.

dhalleron

I had some plugmold stored out of the rain in the top of a carport for a few years. It was rusted when I got it down and wanted to use it.

And I'm pretty sure what you saw was a violation.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Plugmold or wiremold? Either way I think it is only dry location rated. I have used wiremold as a sleeve over uf wire just to protect it. I think that is fine.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I think plugmold may be under 380.
Nope. It's Article 384 and Article 386 for Surface Raceways (metallic and nonmetallic, respectively).

And, yes, the Uses Permitted is only Dry Locations.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Yup. I was mislead by the title of the OP. You're correct. Plugmold is in 380.

jwelectric

I have a question about the statement that either of the raceways mentioned in this thread being required to be installed in a dry location ?only?.

In the introduction of the NEC Section 90.5 have three subsections that explain the difference in what is required and what is allowed.
(A)Mandatory Rules. Mandatory rules of this Code are those that identify actions that are specifically required or prohibited and are characterized by the use of the terms shall or shall not.
(B) Permissive Rules. Permissive rules of this Code are those that identify actions that are allowed but not required, are normally used to describe options or alternative methods, and are characterized by the use of the terms shall be permitted or shall not be required.

In all three of the Articles mentioned in this thread 380, 384, and 386 in the subsection dot 10 the statement is clearly ?shall be permitted? and nowhere in dot 12 is there a requirement that states shall not be used in a damp or wet location.

Am I missing something here or is the ?shall be permitted in the following:? giving permission to make the installation in the areas outlined and the lack of wet and damp locations not being found in the mandatory rule outline by ?shall not be used in the following:? mean that the installation of these items are allowed?

jwelectric

Send in a proposal for a change.

To change what??

I was asking a question about the "shall be permitted" meaning that it must be installed in dry locations ONLY.

The phrase "shall be permitted" is a premissive rule and does not mandate that it is for dry locations only.

The phrase "shall not be installed" is a mandatory rule but it says nothing about damp or wet locations under this mandatory rule.

Does this mean that the installation in damp or wet locations are allowed?

As a reference look at Article 320.

320.12 Uses Not Permitted. Type AC cable shall not be used as follows:
(2) In damp or wet locations

Here it clearly states shall not be used in damp or wet locations

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
To change what??

To change whatever you see to be a problem.

I was asking a question about the "shall be permitted" meaning that it must be installed in dry locations ONLY.

The phrase "shall be permitted" is a premissive rule and does not mandate that it is for dry locations only.

I understood your point perfectly, no need for clarification. If you feel it is not clear as written (and it could be better) you should put in a proposal.

jwelectric

To change whatever you see to be a problem.

I understood your point perfectly, no need for clarification. If you feel it is not clear as written (and it could be better) you should put in a proposal.

I neither see it as a problem or think it unclear but still don?t see where someone can say that dot 10 states that it must be used in a dry location only without something in dot 12 saying that it can?t be used in a damp or wet location.

It seems to be the consensuses of some to the members on this forum that the permissive rule of dot 10 being a mandatory rule that it can be used in a dry location only.

What is your take on the matter? Can it be used in a damp or wet location?

iwire

Staff member
I neither see it as a problem or think it unclear but still don?t see where someone can say that dot 10 states that it must be used in a dry location only without something in dot 12 saying that it can?t be used in a damp or wet location.

Your statement above contradicts itself.

It seems to be the consensuses of some to the members on this forum that the permissive rule of dot 10 being a mandatory rule that it can be used in a dry location only.

What is your take on the matter? Can it be used in a damp or wet location?

My take is I would never attempt to use surface metal raceway in a wet or damp location.

My opinion is that it is the intent of the NEC to prevent surface metal raceway from being used in wet or damp locations

Further I believe that the present wording could be better but I really don't care as I would never choose to use these products in wet or damp locations.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Hi, Mike.

Considering the simple Wiremold 500 and 700 series surface metal raceway, and 386.6 we are lead to 110.3(B) and then look at Wiremold's own specification documentation:

[FONT=Arial,Bold]
[FONT=Arial,Bold]V500 ONE-PIECE METAL RACEWAY[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Bold]PART 1 GENERAL[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]1.1 SCOPE[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Bold]
[/FONT]This specification covers a surface metal raceway system used for branch circuit wiring or data network, voice, video and other low-voltage wiring. The metal raceway system shall consist of raceway, appropriate fittings and device boxes to complete installation per electrical drawings.
[FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]1.2 CLASSIFICATION AND USE[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Bold]​

[/FONT]
Surface metal raceway is to be utilized in dry interior locations only as covered in Article 386 of the National Electrical Code, as adopted by the National Fire Protection Association and as approved by the American National Standards Institute. The Wiremold Company’s V500 Raceway System is listed by Underwriters Laboratories under File Nos. E4376 Guide RJBT and E41751 Guide RJPR.​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.