Multiwire onto single device

Status
Not open for further replies.

drive1968

I got tagged by my inspector on a kitchen dishwasher and disposal because I didn't pigtail the neutral. I used a single device and broke the tab on the hot side and left the neutral tab intact. On my circuit there are no downsteam devices and it is dedicated to the diswasher and disposal. In the past, I've never had an inspector have a problem with this.

He said I violated 300-13(b) DEVICE REMOVAL;In multi-wire branch circuits, the continuity of a grounded conductor shall not depend on device connections such as lampholders, receptacles, etc., where the removal of such devices would interrupt the continuity.

Does this section of the code properly apply to a situation I have? If I actually removed my receptacle, there wouldn't be any downsteam devices to interrupt.

I attached a picture to explain what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• DSC00917.jpg
    DSC00917.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I am another one in agreement. I don't think your inspector has a grasp on the concept of the article section.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Shall I be a nonconformist? :grin: I can't - I agree also but you would need a dp breaker. That does not seem to be the inspectors issue.

crazyboy

Agreed with the rest! If it was feeding another receptacle then it would be an issue. Since its not, you're good.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The reason for requiring the neutral to be pigtailed is for protection of downstream circuits feeding back on the neutral and hurting someone when it is disconnected one side is disconnected from the recep. Disconnecting the neutral in this case will not be a problem-- I know you shouldn't work it hot anyway...:)

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
The reason for requiring the neutral to be pigtailed is for protection of downstream circuits feeding back on the neutral and hurting someone when it is disconnected one side is disconnected from the recep.

Why would unqualified personal be working on that circuit in the first place?:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.