covered juntion box

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am to install a piece of equipment that is wall mounted. the piece of equipment is to be mounted over a 110V outlet box. the only way to access the outlet box once the piece of equipment is mounted is to remove a printed circuit board back board consisting of 4 screws. the power is to come out of the outlet box and land on a 110V to 24V transformer. There will have to be make up in the box. is this o.k.?

jimthesparks

I think that it should be fine. Boxes get covered all the time with equipment. One example of this would be wall lights. It's not like the box is completely buried.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think that it should be fine. Boxes get covered all the time with equipment. One example of this would be wall lights. It's not like the box is completely buried.

Certain wall fixtures are not permitted to cover a box.

410.24 Connection of Electric-Discharge Luminaire.
(B) Access to Boxes. Electric-discharge luminaires surface mounted over concealed outlet, pull, or junction boxes and designed not to be supported solely by the outlet box shall be provided with suitable openings in the back of the luminaire to provide access to the wiring in the box.

covered

covered

i can understand that the piece of equipment its self is covering the junction box, however in order to gain access to the makeup you have to disassemble a component within the piece of equipment to gain access? seems a little awkward and I'm just interested in it being a safe install.

Thanks for the feed back...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
i can understand that the piece of equipment its self is covering the junction box, however in order to gain access to the makeup you have to disassemble a component within the piece of equipment to gain access? seems a little awkward and I'm just interested in it being a safe install.

Thanks for the feed back...

Is the unit designed to be mounted to a box or is this a field modification?

cadpoint

I'm going to say no you can't cover the box!

If a there is some sort of switch on the internal parts of the eqiupment then maybe you can cover the box.

But wait, I really don't think you can cover the box! Because unquailified people will be accessing this box!?
There's the Yes or No, answer for the question.

Honestly read the terms Device, Equipment, Enclosure, in Article 100, then read oh all of 110.28 Enclosures but truely read all of (B) and or (C).

I'd turn the box into a switch box and depending on the application a lockable switch!
from the switch you could feed the individual piece of equipment!

Last edited:
Is the unit designed to be mounted to a box or is this a field modification?

the cut sheet we originally received from the manufacture and in meeting with the west coast rep for this company, it showed, and we were told, the power and data was to entering from either the top or bottom of the surfaced mounted unit. Only when one of the clients in a building complain about conduit showing were we told that many installations have been made so the power and data can entered from the back unit from a 4sbox with a sg mud ring.... the back of the box is open. meaning that you don't have to remove any metal, but to gain access to the power opening you have to remove the printed circuit back board. Long story short. it is not a field modification more of an adjustment...when the manufacture was asked if this type of installation was oked by UL we were told that he would get back to us but if it wasn't approved by UL then there are MANY incorrect installations out there..:grin:

again thanks for your time ....

jeremysterling

...access (to) the outlet box once the piece of equipment is mounted is to remove a printed circuit board back board consisting of 4 screws...
is this o.k.?

I would say yes.

Art 100

Accessible (definition as applied to wiring methods): Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building.

Will removing the 4 screws damage the finish or structure of your building?

Do you plan on bringing the data through the same mudring? That may not be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.