LED's I Like!

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

This is not a thread about general lighting, but about -for lack of a better way to say it - replacing the common flashlight.

In the past year I've seen nearly a 100% "conversion" rate here: Almost nobody uses any sort of flashlight anymore. Instead, they either have LED headlamps mounted on their hard hats, or use baseball caps with little LED's in the bill.

I think it's worth considering supplying these types of lights to everyone on the crew.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I've been partial to the Pelican VB3 for several years now. It fits in my pants pocket, clips to my hat's bill, has an optional head strap, can sit on a surface and be aimed, and has great battery life.

Buck Parrish

I've always had problems keeping up with the or them not working. Then the price of batteries.
So we use the flash lights that come with the cordless drill kits. It's good to always have fresh batteries.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
This is not a thread about general lighting, but about -for lack of a better way to say it - replacing the common flashlight.

In the past year I've seen nearly a 100% "conversion" rate here: Almost nobody uses any sort of flashlight anymore. Instead, they either have LED headlamps mounted on their hard hats, or use baseball caps with little LED's in the bill.

I think it's worth considering supplying these types of lights to everyone on the crew.

i've tried them, and my main complaint with LED flashlights is the fuzzy,
pretty weak light....

the last year and a half, i've been using this one..... nothing else comes
close. it's expensive. i don't care. i can see well with it. that is worth a lot.

http://www.surefire.com/SaintMinimusHS2-A-BK

actually even made locally. it was $125 when i bought it. it's $139 now.

there is a video link on that page up there, of two people using it at night
to go rock climbing... check it out.

renosteinke

Fullthrotl, I've had a Surefire since they first came out. I won't deny their utility.

The LED headlamps - not to be confused with the flashlights - seem to be popular simply because they're attached to your head. No hands needed. And, you use them when your trying to read a nameplate or for other close work, where 'fuzzy light' is a good thing.

Finally, the 'lousy' flashlight you have with you is a lot better than the wonderlight you left on the truck.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I have several LED lights I wear on my head (not all at once). I have a favorite and it's great. It's out in the van or I would give you the make. It has 2 bright LEDs and the lens focuses both of them on the same spot. The light is bright and easy to use. Something about the two lights into one gives the view more dimension. It takes 3 AAA cells. I use rechargeable NiMh cells and get about 15 hours of continuous use out of them.

I have some I just don't like at all. I really hate the ones that have multiple LEDs and no focus lens.

Once you find one that works well, it's hard not to use all the time. I find that 90 percent of the time I would have to drag AC lights in because I wanted to use both hands to work, my head light suffices.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Fullthrotl, I've had a Surefire since they first came out. I won't deny their utility.

The LED headlamps - not to be confused with the flashlights - seem to be popular simply because they're attached to your head. No hands needed. And, you use them when your trying to read a nameplate or for other close work, where 'fuzzy light' is a good thing.

Finally, the 'lousy' flashlight you have with you is a lot better than the wonderlight you left on the truck.

i've got three lights... one in the truck, two in the toolbox....

first one is the headlight, which is what i use for 95% of what i need a light
for.... any light. it's 100 lumens, infinitely adjustable. single battery.

second one is for the odd time i need a light, and don't want to wear it.
two cells, 120 lumens.

third one is also a surefire led, 3 batteries, 400 lumens. good for singing
eyebrows on people standing nearby. seldom used. eats batteries fast.
if you want to see stuff 50 yards away, this is your best shot.

batteries for all of them are surefire 123a Lithium. surefires pricing on the
batteries isn't that bad.. buying them at the drugstore (123A's) is not
for the faint at heart. $20 a dozen from surefire.

randy

dmagyar

Black Diamond Icon headlamp

Black Diamond Icon headlamp

I've almost completely stopped using flashlights after purchasing one of Black Diamonds Icon lights. http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/lighting/icon-headlamp.

The feature I like most is the length of sevice with the AA batteries (3) and both LED and incandescent light option. Worst feature (but still OK) is the head band which I've found stretches out after a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.