250.52(A)(1) versus 250.104(A)(1) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon456

If a metal underground water pipe is used as a grounding electrode per 250.52(A)(1), then would that connection also satisfy the requirement for the bonding of metal water piping per 250.104(A)(1)?

If so, then that would mean the GEC is also serving as the bonding jumper, correct? So then the point of attachment of the GEC/bonding jumper must be accessible?

Also, when 250.52(A)(1) discusses connection within 5 ft of the point of entrance to the building, I assume that distance refers to the length of the pipe, and not the straight-line distance from the point of entrance. Correct?

:?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the metal pipe is connected to the underground water pipe and all is metal then the GEC is all that is needed and yes it must be accessible. I would agree that the 5' refers to amount of pipe.

Jon456

Yes, but I wouldn't call the GEC a bonding jumper, it's the GEC.

Ah, but I don't think a GEC connection point is required to be accessible. Only a bonding jumper connection point is required to be accessible. Thus "GEC/Bonding Jumper". Right?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A GEC connection to a water pipe is required to be accessible if that's what you're asking.

250.68 Grounding Electrode Conductor and Bonding Jumper Connection to Grounding Electrodes.
The connection of a grounding electrode conductor at the service, at each building or structure where supplied by a feeder(s) or branch circuit(s), or at a separately derived system and associated bonding jumper(s) shall be made as specified 250.68(A) and (B).
(A) Accessibility. All mechanical elements used to terminate a grounding electrode conductor or bonding jumper to a grounding electrode shall be accessible.
Exception No. 1: An encased or buried connection to a concrete-encased, driven, or buried grounding electrode shall not be required to be accessible.
Exception No. 2: Exothermic or irreversible compression connections used at terminations, together with the mechanical means used to attach such terminations to fireproofed structural metal whether or not the mechanical means is reversible, shall not be required to be accessible.

kwired

Electron manager
Ah, but I don't think a GEC connection point is required to be accessible. Only a bonding jumper connection point is required to be accessible. Thus "GEC/Bonding Jumper". Right?

250.68(A) says "All mechanical elements used to terminate a grounding electrode conductor or bonding jumper to a grounding electrode shall be accessible".

Exception 1 says "An encased or buried connection to a concrete-encased, driven, or buried grounding electrode shall not be required to be accessible".

Status
Not open for further replies.