Refrigerator & Wine Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Suppose I run a separate circuit to a refrigerator in a dwelling and connect a wine cooler to that circuit. Is this code compliant assuming the loads are not an issue?

Someone asked this question but my guess was the AHJ would get involved. IMO, the cooler is refrigerator equipment and it should be compliant.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the cord and plug refrigerator is not fastened in place then it can load the circuit up to 80% leaving 20% for some other load.

iwire

Staff member
Suppose I run a separate circuit to a refrigerator in a dwelling and connect a wine cooler to that circuit. Is this code compliant assuming the loads are not an issue?

Someone asked this question but my guess was the AHJ would get involved. IMO, the cooler is refrigerator equipment and it should be compliant.

Boy this is a tough one IMO.

On one hand this exception says

210.52.(B)(1)Exception No. 2: The receptacle outlet for refrigeration
equipment
shall be permitted to be supplied from an individual
branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.

To me that could be one or more refrigeration units.

However on the other hand per the definition of individual branch circuit the circuit can only supply one piece of equipment.

:?

Hendrix

I think it would be fine.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Boy this is a tough one IMO.

However on the other hand per the definition of individual branch circuit the circuit can only supply one piece of equipment.

:?

Okay let's say the refrigerator is on a sabc. Can the wine cooler also be on that circuit?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Sure IMO.

So the wine cooler can be on a SABC but not on an individual circuit with the refrigerator??? :?

Anyway, I think the idea was to see if the wine cooler was considered refrigeration equipment. I am not sure that is the intent but it certainly fits the wording in the NEC.

iwire

Staff member
So the wine cooler can be on a SABC but not on an individual circuit with the refrigerator??? :?

I am not saying it is logical but I think that is what the words say.

Anyway, I think the idea was to see if the wine cooler was considered refrigeration equipment. I am not sure that is the intent but it certainly fits the wording in the NEC.

IMO of course it is refrigeration equipment. :)

kwired

Electron manager
a single 20 amp circuit feeding just the refrigerator and wine cooler IMO does not become a SBAC unless it feeds other outlets required to be on an SBAC?

I don't fully agree with this. IMO the outlets need to be in areas that are required to be served by SABC's If the wine cooler is not in the kitchen, dining room, pantry, etc then it is not allowed on SABC period. 15 amp dedicated to refrigerator is an exception to an otherwise SABC outlet. You can put every SABC outlet you have on an individual 20 A circuit if you wish, or you could have 100 SABC outlets and only need a minimum of two circuits.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
IMO the outlets need to be in areas that are required to be served by SABC's If the wine cooler is not in the kitchen, dining room, pantry, etc then it is not allowed on SABC period. 15 amp dedicated to refrigerator is an exception to an otherwise SABC outlet. You can put every SABC outlet you have on an individual 20 A circuit if you wish, or you could have 100 SABC outlets and only need a minimum of two circuits.

I believe the wine cooler is in the kitchen- my assumption anyway.

hurk27

I don't fully agree with this. IMO the outlets need to be in areas that are required to be served by SABC's If the wine cooler is not in the kitchen, dining room, pantry, etc then it is not allowed on SABC period. 15 amp dedicated to refrigerator is an exception to an otherwise SABC outlet. You can put every SABC outlet you have on an individual 20 A circuit if you wish, or you could have 100 SABC outlets and only need a minimum of two circuits.

I think I just learned something new, for some reason I have always thought it was an allowance to have the refrigerator on an SBAC with the exception for it to be on a single 15 amp circuit, after re-reading 210.52(B)(1) I must concede and agree with you.

shall serve all receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A) and (C) and receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment.

Which more or less says it is an SBAC:?

Not sure if this was the intent or just happened to come out this way by allowing refrigeration equipment on SBAC's but I don't see any science that would back up this requirement as a safety issue or other wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.