detached garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

donselectric

had a discussion about detached garage. its fed with a 10/3 uf overhead
on messenger. no panel just 2 circuits will be on a dbl pole 30 snap switch.
question came up ,does it need a rod ? i say no he says yes....
who's rite ?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
What will be the usage in the garage?

if they are planning on placing the 30 amp for general use recepts then you will have a problem.

kwired

Electron manager
Don't forget, if you are bring power to a remote building, you must install a light at the entrance to the building.

Maybe a local rule where you live? I don't know of such a rule in the NEC.

If not an automatically controlled light it is kind of pointless to require that in my opinion. You can go to the shed in the dark turn on the light while you are spending time in the shed, then turn it off when you leave and return to the house in the dark.:thumbsdown:

You can't leave the light on at either the house or the shed because you are not environmentally friendly if you do that.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What article can I find that rule?
210.70(A)(2)(a) At least one wall switch–controlled lighting outlet
shall be installed in hallways, stairways, attached garages,
and detached garages with electric power.
(b) For dwelling units, attached garages, and detached
garages with electric power, at least one wall switch–
controlled lighting outlet shall be installed to provide illumination
on the exterior side of outdoor entrances or exits
with grade level access. A vehicle door in a garage shall not
be considered as an outdoor entrance or exit.

kwired

Electron manager
210.70(A)(2)(a) At least one wall switch?controlled lighting outlet
shall be installed in hallways, stairways, attached garages,
and detached garages with electric power.
(b) For dwelling units, attached garages, and detached
garages with electric power, at least one wall switch?
controlled lighting outlet shall be installed to provide illumination
on the exterior side of outdoor entrances or exits
with grade level access. A vehicle door in a garage shall not
be considered as an outdoor entrance or exit.

Ok there is a requirement, I may even have known that at one time. Still a dumb rule for the reasons I mentioned before.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yes but the poster said to a detached building--- I just noticed his title had detached garage. It is required there but not at a shed or other buildings that are not garages.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Yes but the poster said to a detached building--- I just noticed his title had detached garage. It is required there but not at a shed or other buildings that are not garages.
I understood your question was regarding remote buildings in general. My post of the code was to emphasize only for detached garages. However, depending on the type of remote building, other building codes may require egress lighting.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The other point I am trying to make is if this is a detached garage and there is no side entrance, just a vehicle door, then no light is required.

kwired

Electron manager
I fail to see why someone forgetting to turn a light off makes it a 'dumb rule'.:roll:

Forgetting to turn off the light is not why it is dumb.

If you go out to your detached garage at night, you have to find your way there in the dark. Then you go inside to do whatever it is you are there for. You could turn the light on then but you no longer need it if you are inside. Now when you decide to return to the house you could possibly use it but unless you have an automatic control or a three way at the house you will not have it on or it will be on indefinately.

The only time the light was needed it was not turned on because you did not want to waste energy. That is why it is a dumb rule.

iwire

Staff member
Forgetting to turn off the light is not why it is dumb.

If you go out to your detached garage at night, you have to find your way there in the dark. Then you go inside to do whatever it is you are there for. You could turn the light on then but you no longer need it if you are inside. Now when you decide to return to the house you could possibly use it but unless you have an automatic control or a three way at the house you will not have it on or it will be on indefinately.

The only time the light was needed it was not turned on because you did not want to waste energy. That is why it is a dumb rule.

You put way to much thought into this, it's just a single lighting outlet.

To me the rule is no more 'dumb' than the rest of the required outlets in a dwelling unit. :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If you go out to your detached garage at night, you have to find your way there in the dark. Then you go inside to do whatever it is you are there for. You could turn the light on then but you no longer need it if you are inside.

I totally agree with you esp. since one is not required if there is no side door. I guess they are assuming the garage is close to the dwelling. This is not always the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.