Opening and Closing 480 volt breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWW

Why is it recommended to open or close 480 volt breakers etc...with your left hand? Many electricians are concerned that they are exposed to greater danger if the equipment blows and the door opens.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Why is it recommended to open or close 480 volt breakers etc...with your left hand? Many electricians are concerned that they are exposed to greater danger if the equipment blows and the door opens.

I don't think it matters which hand you use as long as there is no short circuit present then you shoud be fine either way...:)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

It has been shown that we cannot count on the door of an enclosure to completely contain a high energy arc blast.

The idea is to not be in front of the panel. Since most discos have the lever on the right, using your left hand should put you to the side of the disco instead of directly in front of it.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I don't think it matters which hand you use as long as there is no short circuit present then you shoud be fine either way...:)

I pretend that I know as soon as I hit the switch, a bomb inside the enclosure will go off. I figure out where I would like to be standing when the bomb goes off and that is where I position myself when I operate the switch.

Hopefully I will always be wrong about the bomb.

It depends which side of the door the handle is. You're poking around the right idea though. That is that whichever hand one uses the person should not be standing directly front of the equipment. So if the handle is on the right side - most disconnects and some MCC's - then using your left hand your body would be to the right from the expectable energy release path. When the handle is on the left side - most MCC's - the whole thing is opposite of the above. Of course always wear the PPE level warranted by the available energy.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
That thing is worthless, remote operator for remote operated breakers. Just a one trick pony for pistol grips. Mine can wirelessly close any breaker, switch, or MCC out there.

That's not entirely fair IMHO. Yes it is very limited in what it can do but it works for what is intended for. I have 20+ pistol grip operated VCB's in our switchgear building and these things work just fine as long as the cord is long enough to get out of the arc flash zone.

zog

That's not entirely fair IMHO. Yes it is very limited in what it can do but it works for what is intended for. I have 20+ pistol grip operated VCB's in our switchgear building and these things work just fine as long as the cord is long enough to get out of the arc flash zone.

Agreed, it works fine for pistol grips, if the cord is long enough, which it usually is for MV breakers. But usually even pistol grip equiped main LV breakers have too large of an arc flash boundary.

zog

earlejohnson

Here you go, EC&M 2011 POY winner. You use the same base system and different attachments for different styles of breakers, MCC's, molded case, switches, etc.. They even have attachments that can charge manually operated breakers, close, and trip them without getting near the breaker. Everything is attached magnetically, no need to modify the equipment. http://www.remoterackingsolutions.com/remote-switch-operators.htm

Very cool thanks for the link.

tish53

Many of our older MCC's have the handle on the left side. Newer MCC's and fused disconnects have handles on the right side. We train everyone to wear the proper PPE and stand to the appropriate side ( side that puts most of you away from the front of the door).

I like the bomb thought. May be stealing that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.