Out door hot tub install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yeah I agree it is for measurement but I was addressing the part where it says "...without piercing a...permanent barrier." Why would it say that if it is disallowed in 400.8? Is it saying that it is not allowed so don't run the cord that way?
It is merely stating the measurement shall not be made thru the floor to the disconnect. This article is not talking about how to wire the tub.

I'm thinking you're right about getting a tub requiring 50 amps. The homeowner did mention it would hold a few people. I should be getting more information later on today about it.
I have seen full sized hot tubs that are 120V. It must take quite a while to heat it up.

kwired

Electron manager
It is merely stating the measurement shall not be made thru the floor to the disconnect. This article is not talking about how to wire the tub.

I have seen full sized hot tubs that are 120V. It must take quite a while to heat it up.

What is full sized? I have one that is 120V. Is designed for maybe 3 adults max. Holds maybe 250 - 300 gallons of water. Takes a while to heat when first filled. Does not heat while pump is on high speed or the 'in use mode'. Pump runs on a low speed when heating. Never had a cold tub unless just filled or something is not working.

Electron_Sam78

I got a response back from the NFPA on my FI request. They didn't provide a formal answer, as I figured, but I did get an informal opinion from the Senior Electrical Engineer.

My question:

Concerning a hot tub installed outdoors does section 680.42(A)(2) supersede and thereby nullify section 680.22(A)(1)

Reply:

Section 6-1.4 (c) of the NFPA Regulations Governing Committee Projects does not permit a formal interpretation that involves text that clearly and decisively provides the requested information. However, I can provide some supporting information to assist you.

This is in reply to your email concerning the National Electrical Code? 2011.

No, the basic provision of 680.42 requires outdoor hot tub installations to comply with the provisions in Parts I and II of Article 680. Therefore, 680.22(A)(1) is applicable. Section 680.42(A)(2) permits the cord to be 15 ft long amending the 3 ft. length limitation required by 680.21(A)(5).

Mark Cloutier
NFPA Senior Electrical Engineer

Important notice! This correspondence is not a Formal Interpretation issued pursuant to NFPA Regulations. Any opinion expressed is the personal opinion of the author, and does not necessarily represent the official position of the NFPA or its Technical Committees. In addition, this correspondence is neither intended, nor should be relied upon, to provide professional consultation or services.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.