Phase wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Ok, I know this may be one of my real dumb questions.

I am use to seeing where they indicate (3) hots & (1) ground...say (3)#4's and (1) #8 but I have come across(just seen it..not for me to take-off) where they show only (4) conductors of the same size. Say (4) #250's 4/0's etc. What does this indicate and why???? (4) HOTS??? can't be (4) phases, right??? A nuetral or ground the same size??? Thanks alot

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Say (4) #250's 4/0's etc. What does this indicate and why???? (4) HOTS??? can't be (4) phases, right??? A nuetral or ground the same size??? Thanks alot

My guess is that they're calling for the metallic raceway to be used as the EGC.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Are these service entrance conductors?

Roger

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
See 220.61, 250.24 (C) & (D), 250.118, and 250.122(A) & (B). Hoping you have a NEC Handbook? If not, invest in one for yourself for a lot of explanatory material. I buy one every other code cycle normally.

Edit - 250.30(A)(3) too...

Last edited:

cdslotz

I'm looking at a feeder schedule now, so a typical 3ph, 4w feeder reads (example):
for a 300A feeder = 4-350KCMIL, #4G in 3 1/2"C

3-350(hot), 1-350(nuet), 1-#4(eg)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
So sometimes the EG is not needed?
If it is a feeder or branch circuit it is required, it may not neccessarily be a wire though.

In Cslotz post EG's are listed in the schedule.

Roger

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
It's not uncommon for a neutral conductor of a 3? 4W wye service or feeder to be the same size as the line conductors. It actually has to be if all the loads are line to neutral.
Depends on the maximum unbalanced load (220.61), or if it is a Delta service 250.24(C) & (D) Largest of the choices.

Strife

It can mean either:
1: A system where the conduit is the grounding conductor. (IE 3ph+1 grounded conductor + EMT)
2: A service entrance system where a grounding conductor is not installed.
Taken a little extreme it can also mean:
3: 3PH+same size grounding conductor and no grounded conductor, but that's pretty much bad engineering. The grounding conductor should always be specified separately even if it's same size.

Ok, I know this may be one of my real dumb questions.

I am use to seeing where they indicate (3) hots & (1) ground...say (3)#4's and (1) #8 but I have come across(just seen it..not for me to take-off) where they show only (4) conductors of the same size. Say (4) #250's 4/0's etc. What does this indicate and why???? (4) HOTS??? can't be (4) phases, right??? A nuetral or ground the same size??? Thanks alot

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Depends on the maximum unbalanced load (220.61), or if it is a Delta service 250.24(C) & (D) Largest of the choices.
As I said, if all the loads are line to neutral, the maximum unbalanced load on the neutral is equal to the calculated load on any one line conductor, necessitating the neutral to be the same size. An example is a lighting panel with only 120 or 277 volt lighting loads.

...And I specifically said a wye supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.