pole barn

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Is NM cable an allowable wiring means in a pole barn? This is wood construction with a conventional truss system roof and 6"x6" posts on 10' centers. I don't know what type of consruction this would be considered. Type 111,IV, or V. Do the cables need to be concealed in order to achieve a 15 minute finish rating. My first thought when I looked at it was that it should be done in EMT, but if NM cable is an acceptable means I'm sure the owner will opt for the least expensive route. Building is 60'x120' w/ 14' ceilings. Thanks

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I'd have to run it by our inspector to know for sure. If we used Romex, we'd have to protect it below 8' though.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I'd have to run it by our inspector to know for sure. If we used Romex, we'd have to protect it below 8' though.

NM is not allowed if this building is an ag building-- livestock, etc. If it is just an open barn for tractors etc then uf would be okay- I think you could called on NM in that situation because it would be a damp location to many inspectors.

nizak

I'm now being told by the GC who built the building that there will be a portion(approx1/3) of the building that will have stalls for horses.Looks like the best way to go about this is to call the AHJ and have him/her meet me at the job and walk thru it along with the owner.

dwellins

I have done several installations on pole barns and have always done them in EMT(with compression fittings where required) or PVC. Also consider FS or bell boxes with weatherproof covers. Romex is not allowed as previously stated.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
NM is not allowed if this building is an ag building-- livestock, etc. If it is just an open barn for tractors etc then uf would be okay- I think you could called on NM in that situation because it would be a damp location to many inspectors.

According to 340.10(4), I don't think UF would be acceptable either. That article takes you back to part II of 334, specifically 334.10(3). I could be wrong, but that's the way I read it.

FWIW, I've seen a lot of barns with UF, probably not inspected though.

Status
Not open for further replies.