CCE grounding electrode conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.
200 amp meter/pwr dist meter feeding manufactured home and garage. I am being told by ahj that when the foundation is poured that gec to the panel in the house and garage must be tied to a CEE. Anyone know of NEC or local codes that require this. I thought I could use any of the methods in 250.52

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
If the foundation is being constructed with rebar that qualifies as an electrode you have to use it.

Part of 250.50
All grounding electrodes described in 250.52(A)(1) through (A)(7) that are present at each building or structure served shall be bonded together to form the grounding electrode system.

bphgravity

Your AHJ is correct...

250.50 Grounding Electrode System. All grounding electrodes as described in 250.52(A)(1) through (A)(7) that are present at each building or structure served shall be bonded together to form the grounding electrode system. Where none of these grounding electrodes exist, one or more of the grounding electrodes specified in 250.52(A)(4) through (A)(8) shall be installed and used.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If the foundation is being constructed with rebar that qualifies as an electrode you have to use it.

Part of 250.50
Also, both the CEE and ground rods are supplemental to the cold water main ground. So, for new construction, when using the CEE you do not have to drive the ground rods. If you have existing construction and an addition is being put on with re-bar in the footings you must bond to that rebar but you can either run that bonding wire back to the breaker panel or bug it onto an existing water main ground wire.

iwire

Staff member
Also, both the CEE and ground rods are supplemental to the cold water main ground. So, for new construction, when using the CEE you do not have to drive the ground rods.

I agree 100%.

The only issue would be if the power company requires a rod for the meter. :roll:

bphgravity

You would also have to provide a grounding electrode system at the dwelling & the garage if one or both are detached (separate structures) from each other and/or the service equipment per 250.32 NEC...

Status
Not open for further replies.