Four way switch stray voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Voltage to what?

It is normal to measure voltage from neutral to ground if the neutral is carrying current, this is because of voltage drop in the neutral. The farther you are from the system bonding jumper the higher this voltage will be for the same amount of neutral current.

Voltage to what?

It is normal to measure voltage from neutral to ground if the neutral is carrying current, this is because of voltage drop in the neutral. The farther you are from the system bonding jumper the higher this voltage will be for the same amount of neutral current.

When the switches in the 4-way circuit are positioned so the lights are off it was assumed that there should be no voltage to ground. We tested +/- 40 volts on the neutral leg, the electrician quoted that was normal on 4-way switches, I did not agree.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When the switches in the 4-way circuit are positioned so the lights are off it was assumed that there should be no voltage to ground. We tested +/- 40 volts on the neutral leg, the electrician quoted that was normal on 4-way switches, I did not agree.

Again neutral to switch leg would give you voltage if there is a dimmer in the circuit, even with the lights off. Where are you measure 40V Neutral to What????

kwired

Electron manager
Neutral isn't involved in the switching is it? Are you measuring this neutral to ground voltage at the light or someplace else in the circuit?

Is there dimmers or illuminated switches in the circuit? Is the neutral connected or is any part of it disconnected when measuring this reading?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

What is the neutral being used for in a 4-way switch?

Again neutral to switch leg would give you voltage if there is a dimmer in the circuit, even with the lights off. Where are you measure 40V Neutral to What????

Do the 2011 requirements for neutral conductors at switch boxes apply to 4-ways?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What is the neutral being used for in a 4-way switch?
unless they are switching the neutral it isn't but maybe he is calling the white used as a traveler a neutral.

[Do the 2011 requirements for neutral conductors at switch boxes apply to 4-ways?[/QUOTE] Yes it applies except in MA where I believe they amended that section to say if the neutral was in one 3 way switch that was all that was needed in that circuit. Don't quote me but I think that is the case.

TobyD

Would this happen to be on a Radio Ra2 system?I think there's a little pull out tab on those switches to completely disconnect them from their power source.I only have a limited amount of experience with those type installs, only trying to help.

Rick Christopherson

On a 4-way switch configuration, one of the travelers will be disconnected at both ends, and can therefore float to any indeterminate voltage due to coupling with the active conductor. A digital voltmeter will show this voltage, but an analog meter will not.

Status
Not open for further replies.