outside gfci receptacle adjacent to rear door to dwelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleveland Apprentice

I understand by code that a gfci receptacle is required to be adjacent to a rear doorway to a dwelling. What is considered adjacent? A homeowner is requesting the receptacle to be mounted 10 to 15 feet from the rear doorway. Would this be ok? Thanks.

jumper

I do not see " adjacent to a rear doorway".

210.52(E)(1) One-Family and Two-Family Dwellings. For a onefamily
dwelling and each unit of a two-family dwelling that
is at grade level, at least one receptacle outlet accessible
while standing at grade level and located not more than
2.0 m (61⁄2 ft) above grade shall be installed at the front and
back of the dwelling.

480sparky

Another "Charlie's Rule" instance.

Charlie's Rule:
It doesn?t say what you think it says, nor what you remember it to have said, nor what you were told that it says, and certainly not what you want it to say. And if by chance you are its author, it doesn?t say what you intended it to say. Then what does it say? It says what it says. So if you want to know what it says, stop trying to remember what it says, and don?t ask anyone else. Go back and read it, and pay attention as though you were reading it for the first time.

:cool:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not only is it not required to be next to the doorway it's not required to even be on the back of the dwelling. It could be on the side near the rear.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hm... if we follow Charlie's expanded rule; it said 'back', not side. IMO it does not matter how far are you going back on the side of the house, it is still the side of the house.

IMO your interpretation would be on the back of the house. It could certainly be right around the corner and still at the back of the house.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you install one on opposite side of the home accessible from grade you should have no issue. I try and get one near the a/c and also the back of the house to avoid the extra one. Last house I had 4-- One is required on a porch but if the porch is on the front it does not qualify for the accessible from grade. So I had 2 in the front one on the side for the a/c and one in the back. It got a bit ridiculous.

IMO your interpretation would be on the back of the house. It could certainly be right around the corner and still at the back of the house.

The difference between the 'at' and 'on' are both exact location, differentiating only that the receptacle does not need to be mounted on the house. The words, 'near' or 'proximity' would allow your interpretation, alas those are not the words that were used. If it would state separately that mounting the receptacle toward the rear or front of the side, then I would agree that the side is acceptable. Alas it does not say that.

pete m.

If we are gonna split hairs where in the NEC does it define the "back" of the house or the "front" for that matter?:happyno:

Pete

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The difference between the 'at' and 'on' are both exact location, differentiating only that the receptacle does not need to be mounted on the house. The words, 'near' or 'proximity' would allow your interpretation, alas those are not the words that were used. If it would state separately that mounting the receptacle toward the rear or front of the side, then I would agree that the side is acceptable. Alas it does not say that.

OK, so you say at and on mean the same thing, I don't, so we can agree to disagree.

renosteinke

Not very long ago I lived in a duplex. Each unit had its' door on the side. As the code is written, neither of the required receptacles would be on the side of the building where the door was.

elohr46

I don't see how the "side" of the house can also be the "back" of the house, unless the house is round. Most dwellings have a well defined back and front, that's where the required receptacles are to be mounted.

eprice

I don't have a fence, so does that mean one duplex installed any place I desire serves the rear with one receptacle and the other receptacle on the duplex serves the front?:happyyes:

Find the exact center of the side wall. Mount the duplex horizontally so that one receptacle is on the front half of the side wall, and the other is on the back half of the side wall and you should be good to go :D

jimthesparks

Find the exact center of the side wall. Mount the duplex horizontally so that one receptacle is on the front half of the side wall, and the other is on the back half of the side wall and you should be good to go :D

Maybe we should follow the 6' 12' rule and then there would be no problems. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.