Subpanel in detached garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
In new construciton where you know where the service is going to be and who the electrician is going to be before you get started, thats all fine.

But,

In reality most outbuidings and workshops are built before they ever know who is going to be wiring the building, making it impossible for the Electrician to get there to put his CEE in before the pour.

So by rights it is an "Existing structure" when the Electrician is finally called to perform his work.

If the concrete guys put it in to pass inspection so they can go ahead and pour,,,, 90 % of the time, if its stubbed up on the outside,they wont put it in where it needs to be for you to attach to it anyway and it becomes useless.

Can the CEE be stubbed up on the inside of the structure?
I'm not sure.

In my mind it should be the responsibility of the General or concrete guys to provide the CEE if required,the inspectors responsibility to make sure it is of sufficient size and installed properly and our responsibility to attach to it if its available and accessible.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In new construciton where you know where the service is going to be and who the electrician is going to be before you get started, thats all fine.

But,

In reality most outbuidings and workshops are built before they ever know who is going to be wiring the building, making it impossible for the Electrician to get there to put his CEE in before the pour.

So by rights it is an "Existing structure" when the Electrician is finally called to perform his work.
That is how NC looks at it

Can the CEE be stubbed up on the inside of the structure?
I'm not sure.
I don't know why not and it is done often.
In my mind it should be the responsibility of the General or concrete guys to provide the CEE if required,the inspectors responsibility to make sure it is of sufficient size and installed properly and our responsibility to attach to it if its available and accessible.
I don't think I would give that much responsibility to the concrete guy. Certainly the builders can be taught to get it done even if they have to pay an ec. Most of the time the ec is decided before the permit as they are usually listed on the building permit. We have one area where the EC gets their own permits. Makes it easy for us.

Buck Parrish

It's been my expierience, after going through all the trouble installing the cce. Some one cuts it off (steals the wire) during construction to sell the copper as scrap. Then you thier digging for hours thinking I know it was right here.:happyno:

BTW Does this detached residential parking garage require any thing other then one outlet. I have a customer that only wants one outlet. (to pay for any way). No light is required, right? Inside or ouside the door.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It's been my expierience, after going through all the trouble installing the cce. Some one cuts it off (steals the wire) during construction to sell the copper as scrap. Then you thier digging for hours thinking I know it was right here.:happyno:
I always bury it so that it is not sticking out of the ground. I haven't had problems yet but I don't live in Durham. :p

BTW Does this detached residential parking garage require any thing other then one outlet. I have a customer that only wants one outlet. (to pay for any way). No light is required, right? Inside or ouside the door.
That is correct

hurk27

I always bury it so that it is not sticking out of the ground. I haven't had problems yet but I don't live in Durham. :p

BTW Does this detached residential parking garage require any thing other then one outlet. I have a customer that only wants one outlet. (to pay for any way). No light is required, right? Inside or outside the door.
That is correct

The above in red is not correct

210.70(A)(2)(a) At least one wall switch–controlled lighting outlet
shall be installed in hallways, stairways, attached garages,
and detached garages with electric power.

(b) For dwelling units, attached garages, and detached
garages with electric power,
at least one wall switch–
controlled lighting outlet shall be installed to provide illumination
on the exterior side of outdoor entrances or exits

If you install electric power to a detached garage then you must have at least one lighting outlet and receptacle outlet, if there is a man door, then you also have to install a light just like on the house

Status
Not open for further replies.