Under Cabinent Lighting and Exposed NM Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

jill

Hi,
I have about 2" of exposed NM wire coming out of the back of the underside of my cabinents before it goes into the under cabinent flourescent lights. Does this have to be armored cable instead?

Thanks

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I recognize that the OP is outside the trade, but have approved this post based on the appearance that she is checking up on her electrician, and it will make for a decent topic.

No, but it should be protected from physical damage according to Article 334. That could include stapling it to the cabinet. It is a judgment call by the authority having jurisdiction.

Jon456

How about covering it with a piece of wood, rabbeted or routed on the backside to accommodate the width and depth of the NM? It would both protect the wire and, if matched to the cabinets, would make for a more finished appearance.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
334.15 (B)

334.15 (B)

NEC 334.15(B). The exposed cable shall be protected from physical damage where necessary.
"Where necessary" is up to you and your inspector since you two are the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ). If either of you think there is any risk of physical damage then the wire needs to be protected.
Usually a short piece of wire molding or flexible conduit is a "other approved means".

jill

I may not be in the trade, but I didn't think you could put NM in a conduit, even if only 2" long. I thought that could only usually be THNN wire?

I had thought about a short section of WireMold product for simlar conduit application.

I like the idea of the peice or grooved wood. I think that is a done deal.
Thanks for the insight

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I may not be in the trade, but I didn't think you could put NM in a conduit, even if only 2" long. I thought that could only usually be THNN wire?

You can run NM in conduit as far or long as you like.

Roger

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
That is not the best location as far as providing light.
I agree that bringing the light source as far as practical away from the wall provides better lighting on the counter surface.

As for the exposed NM cable, I like to refer to the positive language that is scattered through the applicable articles of the Code.
2011 NEC
Article 334 Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable: Types NM, NMC, and NMS
II. Installation

334.10 Uses Permitted
(A) Type NM.
Type NM cable shall be permitted as follows:

(1) For both exposed and concealed work in normally dry locations . . .
2011 NEC
II. Installation

334.15 Exposed Work
In exposed work, except as procided in 300.11(A), cable shall be installed as specified in 334.15(A) through (C).

(A) To Follow Surface. Cable shall closely follow the surface of the building finish or of running boards.
2011 NEC
II. Installation

334.24 Bending Radius

Bends in types NM, NMC, and NMS cable shall be so made that the cable will not be damaged. The radius of the curve of the inner edge of any bend during or after installation shall not be less than five times the diameter of the cable.
So, with those quotes in mind, I find that normal undercupboard light location is "inherently" physically protected. I liked the comment above to the effect that the fixture itself would likely be damaged before a little 2" segment of NM in the gap between the fixture and the wall. Good common sense.

And, as installed, because of the shortness, the bending radius limits of 334.24 protects the NM from an over jealous application of "closely following the buiding surface."

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Most of the time the customer is willing to sacrifice that 10% of light to have a cleaner looking installation.

I often put the lights to the back back also. They make them that can swivel-- I have seen them at Lowes and used them on one job where the owner provided them. They were not bad.

iwire

Staff member
Most of the time the customer is willing to sacrifice that 10% of light to have a cleaner looking installation.

Because they don't know any better.

It is not the amount, it is the placement, I look at under cabinet lights as task lighting and task lighting should be over the task or in between the person and the task.

With the light behind the task you get shadows on the front side of what you are looking at.

If the goal is just ambient kitchen lighting at the walls is fine. :)

mkgrady

Can anybody even come up with a scenario where NM cable might get damaged in the run between the wall and the UC fixture? Even in the worst case, the NM would only be 8 inches long from the wall to the fixture if it were installed at the front edge of the cabinet.

stickboy1375

Because they don't know any better.

It is not the amount, it is the placement, I look at under cabinet lights as task lighting and task lighting should be over the task or in between the person and the task.

With the light behind the task you get shadows on the front side of what you are looking at.

If the goal is just ambient kitchen lighting at the walls is fine. :)
I've never done a task under the upper cabinet anyway, so back, front, its all good. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.