Foiling Phone Solicitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

GUNNING

Charitable and senseless acts of kindness make me feel good.

Charitable and senseless acts of kindness make me feel good.

If they are persistent and dishonest I list them on my phone as "DO NOT ANSWER". (AT&T long distance/cell phone, that supply house in AZ with the guy that starts off with a joke and calling you by your first name, the hard sell tacticians) I feel I have an obligation to answer every call. It is a business line. Sometimes I get cold calls that really help me. I'm short on help and somebody is looking for a job. Equipment rental companies, and I will need to rent a back hoe the next week for a day. Those karma balancing kinda calls.
Google front page exposure; :slaphead: that one makes my head explode. I ask them if they ARE google and since they are not how can they guarantee front page placement. Don't lie up front it makes you look untrustworthy.
Credit card processing offers, I ask if they would give me there credit card number. They don't, then I ask why would I give them my account information to a cold call artist and I don't make this type of decision with a cold call.
Yellow page adds. I'm going to be changing the way I'm going to approach that next year and need them to call back in September. I have them contacting me instead of looking them up. Hmmm... they have already started as I recall. I get to pick there brains too. One guy offered me the bottom half of the front inside cover of their phone book for $219 a month. I wish he would call me back.

Now for the best part. When the caller keeps me on the line for a couple of seconds they get credit for the call and gets paid for the contact. If the guy with the back hoe is cold calling because he has a list of bidders on a project then maybe he might think kindly on me and pass my name onto someone that needs a really good polite electrician. 15 seconds and I have an opportunity to impress someone new. My advertising I'm paying for is working.

Sometimes I hang up if its a recording. Sometimes I answer with "What ya selling?" Talk about a pregnant pause.

I always try to answer the phone, its my job.

kwired

Electron manager
And this thread is electrically related how?::?

The phone line is covered in art 800:D

add your number to the 1 800 do not call list here:
https://www.donotcall.gov/
It worked for me

Heres the page to register:
https://www.donotcall.gov/register/reg.aspx
And yes it includes cell phones, just make sure to click link in each e-mail for each phone number you register

What I ment above is for each number you register you will recive an e-mail with a link you have to click on, this means if you register 3 numbers you will get 3 e-mails, so each one will have a link to click on to complete the the registering.

If a tella-marketer violates this "Do not call" list they can be fined up to $16,000 per call. the first link also has a link to make a complaint to get them in trouble, "let the head hunnting begin":lol:

Do not call registry may help but does not stop all calls. If you want to go through the process of filing a complaint they still wasted some of your time.

I don't know if this is legal or not, but I saw someone do it and it worked.

A pharmacy in India would call repeatedly, sometimes several times a day.

The first step is to be nice and persuade them to give you a number you can call them back on. Make sure it is a toll free number.

Then, take a little trip and visit every phone booth you can, calling their toll free number and leaving without hanging up the phone. Keep doing this until you get a busy signal. That means you were successful and have just shut that number, all 10 lines or whatever, down. Keep checking and making sure you get the busy signal. If you don't, just leave the phone off the hook and repeat.

The next time they call, ask how business was at the time you got the busy signals. Tell them that you will do that to them every time they call and there is nothing they can do about it.

Where do you find 10 phone booths close enough to each other to do this, it is hard to find just one phone booth anymore? Besides do you really think they will just sit there with a tied up line if there appears to be no one there, their job is to make contact with people, if no one is there they will just move on to another number.

I think it's been 10 years since Ive even seen a phone booth.

No place for superman to change either.:)

Strife

My phone does one better.
I can program numbers to go straight to voicemail. I think my list of WW has about 200 numbers now. And none of them ever ring, or even peep.

I should have thought of this before. A week or 2 ago, I was getting pestered with solicitors day & night, some several times over & some I had told not to call me again. I started saving their #'s on my phone, listing as Pest 1, Pest 2, etc. I set the ringtone choice to NO RING. So now when they call, I hear no ring & don't interrupt my work for foolishness. If their calls beep in on me, I see they are no one to bother with.

Eventually, we will be allowed to go headhunting for telemarketers & put their shrunken heads on poles. Until then, this is another way I can frustrate them with no effort on my part.:D

kwired

Electron manager
It would be nice if a business phone could have a do not call law

My business number is on the do not call registry. Don't know if it is supposed to be. What are they going to do if it is not? I don't know how much it helps, seems like there have been a lot of calls lately, I usually just hang up. Sometimes I have to stay on the line for a little bit to find out if it is a sales person or a potential customer. Some are pretty good at keeping you on the line for a while without you knowing what their intentions are.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I don't know if this is legal or not, but I saw someone do it and it worked.

A pharmacy in India would call repeatedly, sometimes several times a day.

The first step is to be nice and persuade them to give you a number you can call them back on. Make sure it is a toll free number.

Then, take a little trip and visit every phone booth you can, calling their toll free number and leaving without hanging up the phone. Keep doing this until you get a busy signal. That means you were successful and have just shut that number, all 10 lines or whatever, down. Keep checking and making sure you get the busy signal. If you don't, just leave the phone off the hook and repeat.

The next time they call, ask how business was at the time you got the busy signals. Tell them that you will do that to them every time they call and there is nothing they can do about it.

Good idea, but phone booths around here are now few & far between. The idea will also work from an office with multi line service, if they can spare a few lines for an hour or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.