BOX FILL QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Well, since 314.4 leads me 250.112 . . .
Only 250.112(I) as an exception to the requirements of Parts I, IV, V, VI, VII and X of Article 250, the requirements that 314.4 actually leads one to for the grounding of metal boxes.

jumper

Only 250.112(I) as an exception to the requirements of Parts I, IV, V, VI, VII and X of Article 250, the requirements that 314.4 actually leads one to for the grounding of metal boxes.

Yep, but the reference that leads you there is:

250.86 Other Conductor Enclosures and Raceways. Except
as permitted by 250.112(I), metal enclosures and raceways
for other than service conductors shall be connected
to the equipment grounding conductor.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Yep, but the reference that leads you there is:

250.86 Other Conductor Enclosures and Raceways. Except as permitted by 250.112(I), metal enclosures and raceways for other than service conductors shall be connected to the equipment grounding conductor.
Derek,

I just don't see how you are getting what you are explaining out of the citations you are giving.

I tried to point at the disconnect by the hypothetical NM looped in a metal j-box. You responded that, based upon what you are reading in the NEC, the NM EGC wouldn't HAVE to be bonded to the metal box, however, in the field you would bond the EGC.

When I read 250.86 and 314.4, I read that the EGC must be bonded to the metal box, except for Remote-Control, Signaling, and Fire Alarm Circuits, as described in 250.112(I)

jumper

Derek,

I just don't see how you are getting what you are explaining out of the citations you are giving.

I tried to point at the disconnect by the hypothetical NM looped in a metal j-box. You responded that, based upon what you are reading in the NEC, the NM EGC wouldn't HAVE to be bonded to the metal box, however, in the field you would bond the EGC.

When I read 250.86 and 314.4, I read that the EGC must be bonded to the metal box, except for Remote-Control, Signaling, and Fire Alarm Circuits, as described in 250.112(I)

Simple Al, I was wrong and corrected myself. I agree with you, I just got there a different way. 250.112 doesn't reference the box in your scenario, but 250.86 does. It was an academic exercise only, I bond everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.