disconnecting means

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyboy

Can a gas central heat furnace be fed with a cord and plug if on it?s own circuit or does it need to be hard wired with a disconnecting means.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Here's an earlier discussion in the subject:

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=135340&highlight=air+handler

I also brought the subject up at an IAEI regional seminar with a UL rep as one of the speakers. As I recall he advised that UL did not list gas furnaces, but his research showed that the listing did not allow for C&P unless specifically designed.

Last edited:

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
Some manufactures will allow cord and plug if local code allows it. Carrier and their many brands, for example, will allow cord and plug if local code allows it but they still require a switch to be installed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Can a gas central heat furnace be fed with a cord and plug if on it?s own circuit or does it need to be hard wired with a disconnecting means.

Not sure why one would want a furnace on a c&p. In answer to your other question, the gas furnace must be on a designated circuit--art. 422.12

sandsnow

Well you still have some of the old school guys down there. If they're making you do the FAU are they still making you do the diswasher and the disposal that way too?

It would be more like we (the inspectors) are making them do the FAU that way. Based on 422.16(A), we do not permit the flexible cord.

Of course we allow the specific appliances, if all conditions are met.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
It would be more like we (the inspectors) are making them do the FAU that way. Based on 422.16(A), we do not permit the flexible cord.

Of course we allow the specific appliances, if all conditions are met.

Still got some old school guys there. : ) Actually I didn't even look at who posted that I knew you were an ispector.

When I used to do installs in LA all of the appliances had to be hard wired.

Status
Not open for further replies.