feeder leaving and re-entering building - disc required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malachi constant

I am feeding a new panel in an existing building. Due to a number of factors that I won't get into here it appears to be cheaper to route the feeder as follows:
1. Feed from fused switch in main panel located inside building.
2. Exit building perimeter, go underground, trench a ways down the building, come back in to same building at different location.
3. Terminate at panel about 30' inside building.

The project manager is on board with this being the ideal solution. However I had another engineer tell me I would need a disconnect at the point where the feeder comes back into the building. I am familiar with needing a disconnect at service entrances, outbuildings, etc, but this is not considered a service entrance as defined by the NEC. I know of no code requirement for a disconnect here. The feeder is protected at the main switchgear, inside the same facility. I don't see how popping outside and coming back in is any different than popping through the foundation and back up - a common practice.

Pretty sure I'm right here. The guy isn't picking a fight, just brought it up as something he thought I had wrong and recommended I double check. Thoughts? Thanks!

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I would tend to agree with you. You are dealing with one building or structure, not "more than one building or other structure" noted in Part II of Article 225.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with you also. There is one feeder feeding the building there is nothing that states you can't do what you stated. We do it all the time in residential jobs to get wiring up to the second floor we often must exit the building run up the outside of the home and enter up in the attic. I don't see that as any different.

jumper

I agree with you also. There is one feeder feeding the building there is nothing that states you can't do what you stated. We do it all the time in residential jobs to get wiring up to the second floor we often must exit the building run up the outside of the home and enter up in the attic. I don't see that as any different.

It is funny, that was the exact scenario that popped into my when I said it was okay.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have seen this kind of thing in industrial plants. People want as little pipe on the inside of buildings as possible so run them along the outside of the structure. Or they go to add pipe and there is no good path to route it on the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.