MC cable fished in wood stud wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volta

The same permission that allows it to be unsecured, (D)(1), not (D)(2)

But neither the word secured nor unsecured appear in sub-section (D).

Sub-section (B) says, in part, "Cables containing four or fewer conductors sized no larger than 10 AWG shall be secured within 300 mm (12 in.) of every box, cabinet, fitting, or other cable termination."

What let's us skip that?

kwired

Electron manager
I don't see how you can make a hole and then cover it up with a box and them claim inaccessibility.

Inspector- "You did not secure that piece of MC going into that box?" Was the place where it came through the top of the wall inaccessible?"

Electrician- "Yes sir. I screwed a 1900 box over the hole just to make sure."

Drill the hole above the stud cavity, place the box 1' or more away from the hole and strap the MC going into the box on the top.

Okay, if you are going to use 330(24)(D)(2) then I am going to have to give, but that limits the length of unsupported MC to six feet or less.

I still don't feel this cable needs any additional securing or supporting, if you were inspector and failed me for this I would fill hole with expanding foam or some adhesive or caulk before covering the hole with the box, then is is secured and or supported. If you did not accept that I would drill another hole - same size and try to shove you through it:D.

One foot above the wall we are talking about is free air space, how do you propose mounting anything to that?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
But neither the word secured nor unsecured appear in sub-section (D).

Sub-section (B) says, in part, "Cables containing four or fewer conductors sized no larger than 10 AWG shall be secured within 300 mm (12 in.) of every box, cabinet, fitting, or other cable termination."

What let's us skip that?

It does say "unsupported", and yes you may skip it when (D) says you may. I know the descriptive/commentary part of the handbook is not part of the code, but the example they show is just what the OP has, MC down the inside of wall, no securing or support. Honestly, where is the cable going? It's held by a fitting from the 4S and going straight down to the top of a receptacle box. It ain't going up and it ain't going down.

Edit: The main reason for securing & support in new work is to keep the cable away from the front of studs when the sheetrock is going up. In this case (old work) the sheetrock is already in place, no danger there.

Last edited:

Volta

Don't get me wrong, I do it all the time, I feel it is safe, industry standard, and in agreement with the intent of the Code. When I started in this thread, I saw no complaint with the work as described.

But when rereading the section, carefully, and fair-mindedly, I can see no way to legitimately discount the conjunction 'and' in the beginning of the section, in (A).

As written, I would call it a possible violation of 330.30(A), by violating (B). To determine the pure logic of it, we need to leave (C) and (D) out of it, as we are not talking about 'supporting'.

Or, I could be completely wrong. :roll:

Volta

Edit: The main reason for securing & support in new work is to keep the cable away from the front of studs when the sheetrock is going up. In this case (old work) the sheetrock is already in place, no danger there.

Agreed. I would propose that another important reason for the securing of cables within 12" of the fitting is to reduce strain on the splices or terminations, in conjunction with the connector.

480sparky

How, pray tell, do you expect anyone to secure MC cable inside a finished wall....... through a 1" hole at the top? If this can be accomplished, I would really, truly love to see how.

Whether the hole has a box over it or not is not relevant. If the MC can magically be supported through the hole, then it can be done before the box is installed over the hole.

Volta

How, pray tell, do you expect anyone to secure MC cable inside a finished wall....... through a 1" hole at the top? If this can be accomplished, I would really, truly love to see how.

Whether the hole has a box over it or not is not relevant. If the MC can magically be supported through the hole, then it can be done before the box is installed over the hole.

Well I sure don't expect anyone to do it, nor should they.

But you're creative- if that was your challenge, I'm sure you'd devise a way to do it!

kwired

Electron manager

Like I said a few posts back, If I were to attempt to support it I would do so by foaming it into the hole, or caulk or some other adhesive, but I am not even likely to attempt to support it, anymore than it already is.

Status
Not open for further replies.