240V Electric Range Outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You can install a 50a range receptacle in a deep 2?" 4-sq. box with a 1-gang mud ring on it. Does that mean the 2" reference does not apply?
In my opinion it does not apply to the yoke of the device. I believe the intent is that the device either fits in a one gang or doesn't. Lutron Nova dimmers need a 2 gang box to fit. IMO that requires a count of 4 (2 devices) since it occupies more than a one gang.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Personally, I think surface mounted range receptacles, like you use, is the best idea. I have moved more than a couple that were in the wrong spot when the range arrives.

No question esp since you never know where the range will allow a receptacle to be unless you have the specs- we often don't on free standing ranges. Dryers receptacles, however I will use 2 gangs simply because it is easier and placement isn't a problem.

jumper

No question esp since you never know where the range will allow a receptacle to be unless you have the specs- we often don't on free standing ranges. Dryers receptacles, however I will use 2 gangs simply because it is easier and placement isn't a problem.

That is pretty much verbatim what my boss told me 10 years ago when I was wiring a bunch of duplexes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The yoke is part of, and is the device.
I know that but I did say I think the intent is not to include that. Why? Because a gfci is the same width as a dryer receptacle and yet it only counts as one. The NEC does not mention depth of the device. What is clear and simple to some of us is not always the way it is intended. You may be 100% correct and you may not be but the game is not over because you see it that way. This would easily be an ahj call. It has never come up before so I have no idea how they would see it around here.

jumper

Lemme see,

It's Monday morning.

It's cold and raining.

I agree with Bob.

I am going back to bed...................:D

811ecmCBfig2.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
A receptacle is counted once if installed in a 1 gang box, install the same device in a two gang box (just because you can do it) and now it is larger and needs counted twice?? Most of the time if there was enough volume in the 1 gang box the volume of the two gang box is not a problem anyhow.

I typically don't have much problem with this as I don't like how difficult it is to install a 50 amp device with 6 AWG into a properly sized box and usually use a box with more than minimum required volume. If supplied with 8 AWG it is usually not so bad but 6 AWG just does not push into the box that easy most of the time.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
A receptacle is counted once if installed in a 1 gang box, install the same device in a two gang box (just because you can do it) and now it is larger and needs counted twice?? Most of the time if there was enough volume in the 1 gang box the volume of the two gang box is not a problem anyhow.

I typically don't have much problem with this as I don't like how difficult it is to install a 50 amp device with 6 AWG into a properly sized box and usually use a box with more than minimum required volume. If supplied with 8 AWG it is usually not so bad but 6 AWG just does not push into the box that easy most of the time.

The point is with #6 if you count the device twice then it is not compliant as the boxes are generally not that deep. The interesting thing is the surface receptacle probably has a lot less space then a 2 gang box with device.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If range receptacles won't fit into 1-gang boxes, why are 1-gang covers for them manufactured?
I know they fit in a one gang box but you still have to meet the fill requirements. It will not work with #6 or #8 wire- thus the 2 gang. The covers are the same for the dryers. I don't think I have ever seen a range recep. in a 1 gang box.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
A receptacle is counted once if installed in a 1 gang box, install the same device in a two gang box (just because you can do it) and now it is larger and needs counted twice??
I believe the other are saying that a dryer/range recep. install in a one gang box counts as 2 devices.

renosteinke

One device strap, one device - regardless of the size of either the device or the strap.

I can fit a range receptacle into a plastic box (without forcing it), but not into a metal 'old work' box. I regularly see such done. I also find single gang mud rings too narrow for the devices.

Not that I like it ... personally, I'm real fond of DEEP 4-11/16" boxes for this use. Kind of hard to get any sort of pigtail in anything smaller. I mean, what's an extra $2 for a box, as compared to an extra 20 minutes of your time, spent pushing and shoving?

Might as well use one of those POS, glorified cord-cap "range connection devices" as use a single-gang box.

iwire

Staff member
One device strap, one device - regardless of the size of either the device or the strap.

Maybe at one time but no longer the case.

314.16(B)(4) Device or Equipment Fill. For each yoke or strap containing
one or more devices or equipment, a double volume
allowance in accordance with Table 314.16(B) shall be made
for each yoke or strap based on the largest conductor connected
to a device(s) or equipment supported by that yoke or
strap. A device or utilization equipment wider than a single
50 mm (2 in.) device box as described in Table 314.16(A)
shall have double volume allowances
provided for each gang
required for mounting.

kwired

Electron manager
As far as not knowing where the range will allow for best placement I typically use surface mount most of the time also. I suppose you could put in about six flush mounted receptacles all in the space behind the range and let the user plug into which ever one is most convenient:D

Status
Not open for further replies.