Slight bit of transformer help

Status
Not open for further replies.

awc

Hello all, i need some help.....i have to admit it's been a while since i've tackled one quite like this............here is what i got.
240V 3 Wire Delta System and we need to get 240V with a neutral. Soooooo i want to make sure i'm thinking straight:?

Need 240V Single Phase Delta Isolation transformer (1:1) to 240V Single Phase Wye.

Am on the right track.....it's been a while and my gut tells me just ask for a few extra opinions................if you have any to give:)

Thanks in advance fellas!

GearMan

Delta and Wye are 3-phase winding configurations. You will need a standard 1-phase dual wound 480/240 x 240/120v xfmr, wired for 240 x 240/120v. Keep in mind phase balancing.

awc

Thank you! See photo. My guy showed up with this. Decided to pick up a transformer from reclaim supply house but this not what I need correct? This will merely stepdown as IMG-20111005-00160.jpg IMG-20111005-00160.jpg it is single phase......sorry but the bolts holding down brain are ruuuuusty. Lol

awc

Let me apologize.....I am attemptimg to do this from phone and it is not going so well. Sorry for errors

GearMan

Your post indicated you need 1-phase. If it is 3-phase 240v Y you need, no deal. 240v is normally wound as a delta. 240v Y doesn't exist. A mid tapped 240v would get you 120v on A and C phase with a high leg on B. It all depends on what your loads are. More info is needed.

awc

ok, sorry...i guess it's to late for my brain as it's been a long day....

No, i need 240v single phase but with a neutral.
I have 240v 3 phase 3 wire delta and i need to achieve 240v single with neutral.

Sorry but i was completely turned around earlier with the mention of 3 phase.
But the transformer he brought will not work.......now, i may VERY well be completely off here but this transformer will not give me what i'm attempting to achieve, will it?

Loads are lighting and couple of 120V receps for vacuum, radio, misc. Main focus is lighting and they may eventually place an office up there. This will need to feed a 100amp panel. I'm sorry but honestly i think i have myself so turned around on this and if i would take a deep breathe and focus here.............I do apologize for being all over the place BUT i sincerely appreciate your input!

tkb

ok, sorry...i guess it's to late for my brain as it's been a long day....

No, i need 240v single phase but with a neutral.
I have 240v 3 phase 3 wire delta and i need to achieve 240v single with neutral.

Sorry but i was completely turned around earlier with the mention of 3 phase.
But the transformer he brought will not work.......now, i may VERY well be completely off here but this transformer will not give me what i'm attempting to achieve, will it?

Loads are lighting and couple of 120V receps for vacuum, radio, misc. Main focus is lighting and they may eventually place an office up there. This will need to feed a 100amp panel. I'm sorry but honestly i think i have myself so turned around on this and if i would take a deep breathe and focus here.............I do apologize for being all over the place BUT i sincerely appreciate your input!

If you need single phase then that transformer will work for you.
240 volt on the primary and 240/120 on the secondary.
Don't forget to ground the neutral.

GearMan

There are many design issues to determine, not intended for this forum. Don't attempt install unless they are answered.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As GearMan states there are many things to consider, but based on your nameplate you can take any two phases of your 240 delta supply and obtain a 240/120 single phase output with that transformer.

awc

Thank all of you for your input! We'll take a fresh look at this morning and see what we have going on for sure.

Thank you! See photo. My guy showed up with this. Decided to pick up a transformer from reclaim supply house but this not what I need correct? This will merely stepdown as View attachment 5833 View attachment 5833 it is single phase......sorry but the bolts holding down brain are ruuuuusty. Lol
I am a student, as I remember a stepdown transformer can be use to step up too, if you reverse the wiring, ? but not too sure, my 2cent and hope some one can answer and help me be more clear on this.

looking for 240vac with a nutural

looking for 240vac with a nutural

Don't know if this really has much to do with the original post, but the only time I saw anything close to this 240-vac y connected was at the las vegas convention center 380 vac delta primary and a 219 wye secondary. I think it was Europeon

Status
Not open for further replies.