Door release

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Give me a break. Make them show you how two parallel 16s doesn't equal a 12. I hope at least that the customer was picking up the tab on rerunning that wiring. Then maybe I could see doing it.

-Hal

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Dont' have my book handy but I think #16 is rated for 10 amps.

I believe #18 is 10A. As Laszlo says #16 is 18A and that would make two 16s in parallel good for 36 amps, better than #10. A more accurate way would be to compare the actual amount of copper but this is close enough.

-Hal

Last edited:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Table 400.5 A 1, Column A. I knew I had seen a 10 amp rating, but this is for flexible cords.

kwired

Electron manager
Landscape wiring is not rated for indoor use as it has no vertical flame rating.

And he shot down my suggestion for NM or AC/MC, yet is trying to justify the use of landscape wiring.

If NM is not allowed to be used why would you expect the landscape cable to be acceptable?

This is not really any different than using same cables for low voltage lighting applications.

If the power needed is high enough that you need larger than 14 AWG you probably are not talking about a class 2 or 3 limited power source and about all you will find that will work is a chapter 3 wiring method.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
If the power needed is high enough that you need larger than 14 AWG you probably are not talking about a class 2 or 3 limited power source

Good point and for that you would need to look at the power source however most door hardware of this nature is CL2 or at most CL3. It only utilizes #12 wire to limit voltage drop.

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
Good point and for that you would need to look at the power source however most door hardware of this nature is CL2 or at most CL3. It only utilizes #12 wire to limit voltage drop.

-Hal

I guess I didn't say all that I was thinking.

If it is not CL2 or CL3 then a chapter 3 wiring method must be used. If it is CL2 or CL3 you can use CL2/3 cables or you can still use ch3 wiring methods. Not saying you can't find a 12AWG CL2 cable, but even if you can it is likely much easier to find NM or MC cable. If CL2 and you only are using the 12 AWG because of voltage drop, then find a place where you can splice and use the smaller CL2 for just a few feet if you can't get the 12 AWG cable into the space

hbiss

Occupation
EC
If CL2 and you only are using the 12 AWG because of voltage drop, then find a place where you can splice and use the smaller CL2 for just a few feet if you can't get the 12 AWG cable into the space

That's exactly what happens when you have to use electric hinges or door cords to connect to a device on an active door.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.