Pigtailing Aluminum

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbsparky

I am looking at an apartment/condo project built in the mid-1070s. All the branch circuits in there are wired with aluminum romex.

Nothing has been done to remedy the obvious hazards that exist.

We have been contacted by the head-honcho of the condo association to pigtail all the wiring devices with copper jumper wires. We would be replacing all the devices with new ones, which would include using the TR outlets, and installing GFCI devices where required.

I have used those purple wirenuts on a onesy-twosy basis in the past, but am now looking at hundreds or even thousands if we do the entire project.

I have heard discussions about the use of the AMP crimps that require special tools and training.

My question here is why kind of experience have you had using either the purple wire-nuts or the AMP crimps? Do you have a preference, and why?

Also, have you got any horror stories to share about either method failing after the fact?

Do tell ...

kbsparky

Did you consider using dual rated devices?

One of the reasons for pigtailing the wiring is to remove the devices from the continuity of the circuits. Another reason is to ensure good electrical connections throughout the circuits.

Dual rated (CO/ALR) devices are only a temporary fix, IMO.

I stand corrected on the rating. Thanks. It is a little confusing that the top of the listing page says:

UNDERWRITER’S LABORATORIES LISTED WIRE COMBINATIONS
UL File No. E5238 The combinations listed are Cu-Cu Only. (Do Not use on Al-Al connections.)

On another note: Though this appears to be a commercial site looking for business, I have seen this phenomenon numerous times: http://www.alwirerepair.com/burned_purples.htm

No doubt these Ideal 65's were improperly installed, leading to the failures. But I've never found it with the old standard repair, which was to pigtail copper to the aluminum using "scotchlocks" with a little anti-oxident compound (which, of course is not a listed method)

cowboyjwc

Staff member
What obvious hazard are you talking about?

If you are talking about the aluminum wire it looks to me like it's been there for 40 years and there haven't been any problems.

This is the same discussion we're having on the "I hope I'm not losing another one" thread, but from the oppisite point of view.

If an inspector were to ask for you guys to rewire a building you would be screaming bloody murder.

paul

Scotch Locks, pretwisting and no-ox is the best alternative to COPALUM connectors. Ideal purples, while approved, are a horrible method. The article electricguy61 posted backs this up. There is another study out that mirrors this one, but I can't seem to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.