frig. recept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Seymer

Question: I work in a commercial building and we are doing a remodel of the building. In the remodel we are putting in wet appliance centers with refrigeraters and microwaves. The engineer said we need GFI receptacles on everything becouse its with in 6 feet of the sink I agree with it all but the refrigerater and now we are having trouble with the GFIs triping and there is nothing wrong with the frig. from what I see in the code it said we do not need them but he quoted from 2002 and said we do. would like some advice.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The 2002 NEC would not have required GFCI protection in a non-dwelling unit for receptacles within 6 feet of a sink. The 2011 does. So you need to tell us what code cycle applies. That said, if the GFCI that protects the circuit serving the fridge is tripping, then there is something wrong with the fridge.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The 2002 NEC does not require gfci for refrigerators. In other than dwellings the 2005 NEC req. GFCI for commercial and institutional kitchens. A kitchen is an area with a sink and permanent facilities for cooking and food prep.

In the 2011 a gfci must be readily accessible so installing a gfci recep. behind the refrigerator would not be compliant, IMO.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
In the 2011 a gfci must be readily accessible so installing a gfci recep. behind the refrigerator would not be compliant, IMO.

Yea but if it trips then something is wrong so the fridge comes out then its readily accessible.... Ha :) I am kidding but it is logical.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Yea but if it trips then something is wrong so the fridge comes out then its readily accessible.... Ha :) I am kidding but it is logical.

It's my understanding that the reason (one of the reasons) for the GFCI to be readily accessible is for the homeowner to test them monthly. Like that's going to happen, most don't even know to. (or care):happyno:

Dennis Seymer

trip

trip

If one in my house trips while in use...............I consider it tested. :thumbsup:

my thoughts to! and my argument has been that it is not readly accessible. it seems to trip just every now and then when the compresser comes on. when we plug it in to a conven. it works fine.

jwelectric

Bill, let's be honest-how many of us actually test our GFCIs? I'll fess up and admit I don't.

I do and I also exercise my breakers once a year. I keep documentation of this also.

If you believe one word of the above let me sell you an ocean front cabin in Idaho

Is Maryland still on the 2002 cycle?

jumper

I do and I also exercise my breakers once a year. I keep documentation of this also.

If you believe one word of the above let me sell you an ocean front cabin in Idaho

:)

Is Maryland still on the 2002 cycle?

Parts of MD are. The county I am in is 2008, but the county above is 2002.

Md adopted the 2005, but individual jurisdictions can elect to adopt it differently.

It is a mess. Local amendments also, ugh. Licensing can be parochial also.

VA was much simpler, one statewide code and licensing. No local exceptions allowed.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
It's my understanding that the reason (one of the reasons) for the GFCI to be readily accessible is for the homeowner to test them monthly. Like that's going to happen, most don't even know to. (or care):happyno:

Bill, let's be honest-how many of us actually test our GFCIs? I'll fess up and admit I don't.

I've been in solitary confinement and missed some posts, better late than never!:happysad:

Derek, that's why I stated what I did in the red above, we/they and probably no one does.

But I did test one I installed the other day. It wouldn't work with the line/load reversed.:slaphead:

jumper

I've been in solitary confinement and....

Wife put you in the doghouse? Happens to me too.:)

Derek, that's why I stated what I did in the red above, we/they and probably no one does.

I know Bill, I was busting your chops in a friendly way.:p

It wouldn't work with the line/load reversed.:slaphead:

I believe that the original ones did not do that. Also that they could fail in the closed position. Not good.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Question: I work in a commercial building and we are doing a remodel of the building. In the remodel we are putting in wet appliance centers with refrigeraters and microwaves. The engineer said we need GFI receptacles on everything becouse its with in 6 feet of the sink I agree with it all but the refrigerater and now we are having trouble with the GFIs triping and there is nothing wrong with the frig. from what I see in the code it said we do not need them but he quoted from 2002 and said we do. would like some advice.

If we are talking about a new fridge I would be sure of my recept wiring.... no accidental grounded conductor to EGC contact

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Someone posted here a month or so ago that found a tag on a new fridge that said not to connect the fridge to a GFCI circuit. I can't remember the thread or who posted it.
Hillbilly maybe?????

Status
Not open for further replies.