RF Switches / Smart Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
You can certainly buy the all the parts from a dealer, but the programming of the system must be done by the dealer or an authorized independent Crestron programmer. The switches will work for locally controlled on/off without programming, but will need a programmed processor to to be used as part of a system.

Good to know, thanks.

crazyboy

Have a house that uses dhc that we maintain. It is wired so that no other switching system could be used without rewiring the house. As problems arise the thought of switching technologies arises, however not having the usual switch legs makes it difficult.

Buck Parrish

Have a house that uses dhc that we maintain. It is wired so that no other switching system could be used without rewiring the house. As problems arise the thought of switching technologies arises, however not having the usual switch legs makes it difficult.

Perhaps , smarthome tech will work. Some switches will need a neautral, though.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer

Hi Buck,

I am very familiar with Insteon. My entire home is automated using it. It is a mesh network that uses both power line carrier and radio waves.
I consider it to be in the hobbyist category. Meaning that the owner will have to spend time making it work reliably.

I would caution you to distance yourself from any responsibility for its robustness. In other words you are only responsible for the initial install (not for making it work).
Unless of course you are up to the challenge of becoming an Insteon expert.

It can be a great system but it is not as simple to make it perform reliably as the sales ads make it appear to be.

To see what I mean you might read some posts at either or both of the forums below if you can find the time.

http://www.smarthome.com/forum/

http://forum.universal-devices.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.