finding work as a new business

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I called a few guys I knew in various trades & asked them to spread my name, handed out cards everywhere I spent any money, ran newspaper & yellow pages ads, sent a few flyers by mail order. I cold called stores & offices where I saw any damage needing repair.

Dig in, these are hard times for startups. I started 3 years ago & am still struggling.

Thanks I realize these are tough times to start that's one reason I am keeping my job as a start rather then quit and jump in with both feet. Trying to take it slow and make as few mistakes as possible.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Thanks I realize these are tough times to start that's one reason I am keeping my job as a start rather then quit and jump in with both feet. Trying to take it slow and make as few mistakes as possible.

Wise thinking. These are hard times & you need to keep all options open. Work hard for your boss, learn all you can from him. He may help you in various ways down the road. Keep an eye open too, to small side ventures you may have open. If someone will pay you to haul stuff to the dump, if you see power co. cutting limbs you could take for firewood. I hope to gather enough wood this year to have some for sale next winter.

BTW, I have mostly quit newspaper ads. I used to get some response, very little now. Yellow pages is worth doing for the over 50 crowd & I am planning to do a website soon for the under 50 crowd. Those 2 go a long way getting your name out. Word of mouth is excellent. A little slower, but it grows over time. I do all I can to satisfy my customers & keep them happy.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If you like service work and are any good at it, I always tell guys to send out letters to managment companies, they usually take care of numerous properties and are always needing some work done. If you're really smart you will team up with some other small contractors (GC, plumber, A/C) then when they call you and say they need other work done you will have a contact for them and it will be someone that you can work with. I had one company that kept me around as much for my electrical expertise as they did for the people I knew.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.