Use Disconnect type A.T.S. or non-disconnect type A.T.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a proposed single family residential job with a 200 amp back to back service the panel has a 200 amp MB. The wall is "C.B.S." type finished / painted at present. Im going to install a optional stand by generator and a 200 amp ul rated A.T.S. The A.T.S. can mount next to the meter can with no problems. I want to feed from the meter to the A.T.S. with a 2.5" nipple large enough to carry only the service sized 3/0 copper conductors in and back so I could utilize the existing 2" nipple thats in place now from the meter to the panel. This is my question is this. If i use a non-disconnect type A.T.S what would the conductors be considered "feeder? or service?" and would NEC art # 230.7 not apply here. And NEC art # 230.82 (3) could apply. My thoughts are that a non-disconnect type switch would mean the conductors are service conductors and there shouldn't be any issue with the wires running from the meter can to the A.T.S. then back to the meter can and to the MB panel. And not needing to break block and patch to run to the panel on the inside. The total distance would be less then 8 feet from meter to panel with nothing inside the residence. give me your thoughts.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The service conductors are the conductors from the service point to the service disconnecting means. So it sounds like they are service conductors and 230.7 is not an issue.

idealman

The service conductors are the conductors from the service point to the service disconnecting means. So it sounds like they are service conductors and 230.7 is not an issue.

ATS automatic transfer switch to my knowledge there is no automatic transfer switch that is listed for service without a disconnect inside you cannot leave the meter can enter a non-service rated transfer switch and reentry meter can John Cramer ideal generators

ceb58

I have a proposed single family residential job with a 200 amp back to back service the panel has a 200 amp MB. The wall is "C.B.S." type finished / painted at present. Im going to install a optional stand by generator and a 200 amp ul rated A.T.S. The A.T.S. can mount next to the meter can with no problems. I want to feed from the meter to the A.T.S. with a 2.5" nipple large enough to carry only the service sized 3/0 copper conductors in and back so I could utilize the existing 2" nipple thats in place now from the meter to the panel. This is my question is this. If i use a non-disconnect type A.T.S what would the conductors be considered "feeder? or service?" and would NEC art # 230.7 not apply here. And NEC art # 230.82 (3) could apply. My thoughts are that a non-disconnect type switch would mean the conductors are service conductors and there shouldn't be any issue with the wires running from the meter can to the A.T.S. then back to the meter can and to the MB panel. And not needing to break block and patch to run to the panel on the inside. The total distance would be less then 8 feet from meter to panel with nothing inside the residence. give me your thoughts.

The ATS must be service rated with the disco built in or you must install a service disconnect before the ATS 230.70 and 230.82(3) would apply. Ether way you cannot reenter the meter to the house panel.Any thing after the service disco. would be 4 wire.

Strife

It'd be hard to as least one part of code(I'm sure there are other violations) requires the disconnecting means to "NOT" transfer or switch "AUTOMATICALLY". The "A" in the ATS would be the keyword to look for? :)

ATS automatic transfer switch to my knowledge there is no automatic transfer switch that is listed for service without a disconnect inside you cannot leave the meter can enter a non-service rated transfer switch and reentry meter can John Cramer ideal generators

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It'd be hard to as least one part of code(I'm sure there are other violations) requires the disconnecting means to "NOT" transfer or switch "AUTOMATICALLY". The "A" in the ATS would be the keyword to look for? :)
Aside from not knowing what requirement you are referencing, a service-entrance rated automatic transfer switch (ATS) does not switch the disconnecting means. In essence, it has three multi-pole switches: 2 manually-operated circuit breakers, which serve as 2 disconnecting means, and a double-throw contactor. The transfer is made using the contactor.

Strife

So not knowing what requirement I'm referencing makes it "invalid"???
My answer was to:"ATS automatic transfer switch to my knowledge there is no automatic transfer switch that is listed for service without a disconnect inside".
Notice the "WITHOUT A DISCONNECT INSIDE"?
That's what I was referencing to, an ATS "WITHOUT OTHER DISCONNECT MEANS INSIDE" when I said it was difficult to comply with. (without having additional means of blah blah)

Aside from not knowing what requirement you are referencing, a service-entrance rated automatic transfer switch (ATS) does not switch the disconnecting means. In essence, it has three multi-pole switches: 2 manually-operated circuit breakers, which serve as 2 disconnecting means, and a double-throw contactor. The transfer is made using the contactor.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
So not knowing what requirement I'm referencing makes it "invalid"???
My answer was to:"ATS automatic transfer switch to my knowledge there is no automatic transfer switch that is listed for service without a disconnect inside".
Notice the "WITHOUT A DISCONNECT INSIDE"?
That's what I was referencing to, an ATS "WITHOUT OTHER DISCONNECT MEANS INSIDE" when I said it was difficult to comply with. (without having additional means of blah blah)
Thank you for the blah blah :p

Status
Not open for further replies.