New Flat Screen Cable Hiding Solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

krisinjersey

http://www.legrand.us/wiremold/at-home/hide-organize-cords/cmk70-tv-power-kit.aspx?utm_source=wiremold&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=all_20111122_tvkit
I got a marketing email from Pass and Seymour/Legrand this morning with a link to this product for hiding the cables associated with a wall mounted flat screen. Am I missing something, or is this a violation of 400.8 (2) and 400.8 (5). The entire thing is being billed as DIY and comes with a bunch of tools to do the install, eliminating the need to employ an electrician. Maybe I'm just in a mood, but how can this be marketed to the consumer if it directly violates a code article?

Last edited:

USMC1302

I think there was a long thread on a similar product here not long ago. Can't remember the name of it though. "Power " something. Somebody will remember

krisinjersey

Found It

Found It

I read the entire thread and several forum members and moderator's, who's opinions and insight I have come to sincerly respect, were involved in the thread. I understand what Dennis is trying to accomplish there. My issue is that the item currently being marketed is NOT code compliant now. When, and if, the change he is proposing is made, the product may be. But right now it isn't.
In the interim, I emailed Legrand to ask for clarification. I'm too much of an idealist sometimes, and I don't understand the logic behind marketing something like this. Send the unit out for UL listing once it is code compliant. But until then this type of product shouldn't be allowed to be sold.
I really just want to know if I'm wrong about the code violation issue. Is there something I'm missing?

Strife

Looks to me like an extension cord and 2 boxes where the cord connectors lock in and an additional hole for the cables.
Too lazy to check if it's listed, but if it is, where's the code violation?

http://www.legrand.us/wiremold/at-home/hide-organize-cords/cmk70-tv-power-kit.aspx?utm_source=wiremold&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=all_20111122_tvkit
I got a marketing email from Pass and Seymour/Legrand this morning with a link to this product for hiding the cables associated with a wall mounted flat screen. Am I missing something, or is this a violation of 400.8 (2) and 400.8 (5). The entire thing is being billed as DIY and comes with a bunch of tools to do the install, eliminating the need to employ an electrician. Maybe I'm just in a mood, but how can this be marketed to the consumer if it directly violates a code article?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for the lead. it reads like it is skirting the subject, it is still a flexible cord, isn't it...
http://powerbridgesolution.com/faq/extensioncordwarning.html

No more than the AC cord to the back of a desk top computer power supply. Both are flexible, removable and have a female connector on one end and a regular male connector on the other end. I have a drawer full of them (the cables for computer power supplies).

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

well, there's an installation video that shows it being installed, and at the end of the video, they
say that it's UL Listed.

so, either it is, or they are lying. i suspect that it is listed, as part of an assembly,
with the entire assembly being approved.

a lot of things have to work for this to be a solution..... insulation, and fireblocks
come to mind off the top of my head...... i don't do a ton of these, but the last
three that i've done... one was over a fireplace, with a sheet of 1/2" rock "flown"
over slump stone, attached to 1" furring liquid nailed to the brick....

second one was attached to a concrete block wall, with venetian plaster over it.

third one was in a wall, with the equipment in a closet in the far corner of the room.

truth is, this is just a take off on putting two desk grommets in the wall,
and throwing the set's cord, and cables down the wall..... i've seen that done
a lot.

KVA

How is adding an extra cord a solution to hiding cords?:blink:

If I'm looking at this right... It has a 6 foot cord that you plug into a nearby receptacle to feed over to the stud bay you will be fishing up to the tv? So you will see this cord draped across the baseboard from your A/V rack or entertainment center. Correct me if I'm wrong.

M4gery

How is adding an extra cord a solution to hiding cords?:blink:

If I'm looking at this right... It has a 6 foot cord that you plug into a nearby receptacle to feed over to the stud bay you will be fishing up to the tv? So you will see this cord draped across the baseboard from your A/V rack or entertainment center. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct. It's still a much nicer design than seeing cords running up the wall. Also, many times people put a small table or shelf on the floor under the TV to hold the cable box and other components. This would hide the cords altogether.

KVA

You are correct. It's still a much nicer design than seeing cords running up the wall. Also, many times people put a small table or shelf on the floor under the TV to hold the cable box and other components. This would hide the cords altogether.

Ok I guess it would work in some cases. I do lots of setups where the tv is mounted above the fireplace these things would be a waste for that.

M4gery

Ok I guess it would work in some cases. I do lots of setups where the tv is mounted above the fireplace these things would be a waste for that.

Yes, I don't think it would work well above a fireplace, but I also don't like a TV above a fireplace in the first place (too high, IMO) so it's a wash for me :p

Another good thing that comes out of using this device (or the power bridge) is that you are able to plug your TV into some type of UPS or surge protection equipment that you have located down below with your components.

I've used the Power Bridge in situations in which running a receptacle would require a lot of work that the customer didn't want (such as a second floor condo in a 3 story building, no upper or lower access). It worked well in these situations.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
No more than the AC cord to the back of a desk top computer power supply. Both are flexible, removable and have a female connector on one end and a regular male connector on the other end. I have a drawer full of them (the cables for computer power supplies).

I agree with that, but you don't run computer power cables through holes in a wall where they are concealed behind the wall. I am curious, what is a code compliant power bridge? :?

Answered my own question. Watched the video, they are working a loophole http://www.youtube.com/v/LIbTC3z1JZY&hl

Last edited:

M4gery

I am curious, what is a code compliant power bridge? :?

The Power Bridge uses an inlet in an electrical box, an outlet in an electrical box, and a piece of romex or MC to connect the two. There are many different deigns out now.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I agree with that, but you don't run computer power cables through holes in a wall where they are concealed behind the wall. I am curious, what is a code compliant power bridge? :?

Answered my own question. Watched the video, they are working a loophole http://www.youtube.com/v/LIbTC3z1JZY&hl

Yeah, it helps to see what the thing actually is. I would be more concerned about the other cables in the wall than the romex or the power cord.

satcom

Yeah, it helps to see what the thing actually is. I would be more concerned about the other cables in the wall than the romex or the power cord.

The guy in the video sure has a line of BS, no permits and no need to worry about live wires, wow! ,he made a great discovery, using a clock recpt.

GUNNING

So explain to me how this doesn't violate running an extension cord through a wall ?????

Oh that's right, it is not done by an electrician.... so it is not a violation.

krisinjersey

The Power Bridge uses either romex or MC to run thru the wall. What does the P&S kit use?

A 6' Extension cord.
I got a flurry of emails about this Wednesday from both the marketing company and P&S with the promise of a phone call from the technical lead on this design who is supposed to explain why this unit is code compliant. It is not UL listed. Power Bridge would be a more acceptable solution due to the wiring method employed. My major concern is the cord not being seated in either the inlet or outlet, while inside the wall, where it's exposed to the back of the wallboard, the framing lumber, possibly the insulation facing or another ignitable source. I'll post what they let me know.

Last edited:

highvolts582

power inlet

power inlet

I thought this solution up years ago for protecting flat screens with a good surge protector. Just when i thought I had a great invention i searched on the internet and a company already broke out and was selling them. the kit came with 12-2 romex. 2 old work boxes, power inlet and recessed receptacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.