Someone finally figured out a way to circumvent electricians

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

I don't get the opposition to this. Think of how many homes can get emergency power in a very short period with these. The last time we had a hurricane warning, it was mayhem with everyone running out to get a generator, and I HATE to think of how all those people hooked them up temporarily.

Option 1) Get in with the POCO and/or Generlink, become a generator dealer, install the things, sell a service contract, sit back and make money.

Option 2) Sit around thinking back on the glory days when you got to install a really hokey generac panel that looked like a Frankenstein experiment gone wrong and complain about how life is too easy nowadays.

Don't get me wrong - I'm against dumbing down code so that only monkeys are needed for installing, but this is just a better solution to the small generator market than what's been offered previously. It's only rated for a 200A meterbase and 10kW (40A). All those 320A and 400A McMansions will still need a more expensive, custom fitted solution. Overload this, and the generator breaker will trip. Ground fault? The GFI receptacles or breakers in the panel will take care of it. As an electrician AND as a customer who lives in a flood plain, I would jump on this in a heartbeat.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Around here one of the power companies was subcontracting generator installs. They had a few EC's that they worked with and they would get a cut of the job.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Read all of the words. Do not take ideas out of context.
This is not for permanently installed generators, it is for portable units.

I do not see anything in the manufacturers literature that says they will not build a ATS version if enough units are ordered. Money talks.

I know what the product is now. Approval might or might not be a big deal, and I've been itching to buy a container load of generators from china anyway. Can anyone see a reason an ATS can not be connected into a meter socket?

Or are you saying I should start a new thread?

Last edited:

renosteinke

I've re-read Article 90, as well as my states' licensing laws, and I cannot find in either a passage to this effect:

"The purpose of these rules is to ensure prosperity to a sleect group, known as electricians."

Lots of folks have manipulated both the codes and the licensing laws for their own reasons - but such a use is a perversion.

iwire

Staff member
I've re-read Article 90, as well as my states' licensing laws, and I cannot find in either a passage to this effect:

"The purpose of these rules is to ensure prosperity to a select group, known as electricians."

Lots of folks have manipulated both the codes and the licensing laws for their own reasons - but such a use is a perversion.

Well put and I agree 100%.

Joethemechanic

Occupation

But it's business, I'm not saying it's right, but you kinda got to expect it. Personally I hate that part of business. But how can you play fair when your opponent doesn't? And sometimes people are not even aware they are manipulating the laws. The human mind is a funny thing

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
FWIW, I asked my customer to contact the local POCO to see whether they would allow the installation of this unit. He chose to contact the sales company and this was their response :
Orange and Rockland Utilities does allow the GenerLink to be installed into their service territory. According to their guidelines, you can purchase the unit directly from us, Global Power Products, and hire a licensed electrical contractor to perform the installation. Orange and Rockland must disconnect and reconnect the meter. I have attached a current price sheet for your reference which details the 4 different models we offer.

You will need to log onto www.generlink.com and click ?choosing generators? to confirm that your generator is compatible with the GenerLink because not all generators are compatible. The list on our website is just generators that we have researched to date. If you are interested in a generator that is not on our list, you can provide us with the manufactures name and model number and we will be more than happy to research it for compatibility.
As long as HO's are required to hire licensed electrical contractors to do the work I have no problem with this. But if POCO's are going to do the installs there will be a battle.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
FWIW, I asked my customer to contact the local POCO to see whether they would allow the installation of this unit. He chose to contact the sales company and this was their response :As long as HO's are required to hire licensed electrical contractors to do the work I have no problem with this. But if POCO's are going to do the installs there will be a battle.

ok... so we have an hours labor to plug in a socket, plug the meter into it, and seal it back up...

in calif. you can contract without a license as long as the work is below 500 or 600 bucks, i forget which...
think it's 500.....

i'll bet there are folks who'd put these in all day long for $50 bucks each.... i don't see this as being a
profitable way to earn a living.....

however, the price on this is not that cheap..... it's set to be a somewhat less than a transfer switch, installed.

where i see this as being good, is with people renting a house... it's portable, if they move.....

i'd see this as something that can be installed where a market doesn't currently exist.... in rental property

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Then there are some POCO's where nobody removes any of their meters except for POCO employees.

and hire a licensed electrical contractor to perform the installation. Orange and Rockland must disconnect and reconnect the meter.

Pretty standard procedure. POCO pulls the meter, EC installs the device, POCO puts meter back in. Somewhere in there, shouldn't there be some sort of inspection?

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Pretty standard procedure. POCO pulls the meter, EC installs the device, POCO puts meter back in. Somewhere in there, shouldn't there be some sort of inspection?

But the poco installs meters and seals them back up without an inspection. Not saying that's a good thing

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why do you need the POCO to pull the meter out ? Unless there's a lock on the meter I don't see the need for the POCO. In addition. once you pull the meter out you still have live parts exposed. Not really somrthing you'd want a novice working on. And yes, there should be an inspection. Not sure how it works yet in my area but as soon as I know I'll post it here. Kind of tough to coordinate seeing as how it only takes 30 minutes according to the flyer.

220/221

I also am firmly against keeping new methods off the market for the reason of keeping people busy.

That's because you can see the big picture.

Everything changes. Simply keep an eye on trends and stay ahead of the curve. This stuff doesn't happen overnight.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager

You know very well that according to some people that post here it would be impossible to schedule the EC, POCO, and inspector to all make an apppointment at same place at same time.

Why do you need the POCO to pull the meter out ?

POCO policy. There is one in this area where you do not cut seal, or remove meter, or even cut live service drop conductors. You call them to do any of these tasks, even in an emergency. Emergencies they will get there as quick as possible. Everything else needs scheduled, and you need to plan accordingly.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You know very well that according to some people that post here it would be impossible to schedule the EC, POCO, and inspector to all make an apppointment at same place at same time.

POCO policy. There is one in this area where you do not cut seal, or remove meter, or even cut live service drop conductors. You call them to do any of these tasks, even in an emergency. Emergencies they will get there as quick as possible. Everything else needs scheduled, and you need to plan accordingly.
You're probably correct for some areas. In the areas I've been working in lately the POCO's are O & R, PSE&G and JCP&L. Unless it's an underground service I never wait for them to disconnect-reconnect. I can't live by their schedule and they seem to have 150 excuses for not being at your location at the time specified.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
But the poco installs meters and seals them back up without an inspection. Not saying that's a good thing
For some strange reason they're not subject to the same rules and regulations we are.:happyno:

If POCO's start installing these things you can be sure there will be no third party inspection.

kwired

Electron manager
For some strange reason they're not subject to the same rules and regulations we are.:happyno:

If POCO's start installing these things you can be sure there will be no third party inspection.

What is there to inspect? The device is listed and it just plugs in. No different than connecting a cord connected appliance to a receptacle that is already there.

Is it subject to being mis-applied? Yes. But so is a cord connected appliance that likely is not inspected either.

Status
Not open for further replies.