Working Space Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-1Sparky

In a situation where a piece of equipment is partially blocking a panelboard, but can be easily moved (is on wheels) so that the working clearances are met for accessing the panel, is it still a violation of 110.26? Thanks.

Stevareno

It must be. It doesn't even have to be on wheels. I come across that often any time I go to a service call. :rant::roll:

I'm curious to find out the REAL answer.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
From the 2008
110.26(B) Clear Spaces. Working space required by this section shall not be used for storage.

Yes it is a violation to place something in the work space even if it is easy to move.

A-1Sparky

I guess I agree that it is, technically, a violation. But, I also feel that relocating this particular piece of equipment as well as the emergency circuit that feeds it is a waste of time and money. The required space to work on the panelboard safely can be achieved by simply rolling the piece of equipment out of the way. The AHJ is being a tad unreasonable. Imagine that. :cool:

eric9822

Occupation
I guess I agree that it is, technically, a violation. But, I also feel that relocating this particular piece of equipment as well as the emergency circuit that feeds it is a waste of time and money. The required space to work on the panelboard safely can be achieved by simply rolling the piece of equipment out of the way. The AHJ is being a tad unreasonable. Imagine that. :cool:

I believe the intent is to ensure the workspace is clear at all times so that it is not up to the worker to have to clear it to provide for a safe work environment. Sometimes people get in a hurry and tend to work around obstacles vs. move them if they think they can safely work around them. This may be true some or most of the time but when something goes awry an obstacle can cause things to go very bad very quickly.

Last edited:
I often put panelboards in shallow closets with doors, that when opened provide adequate working clearance. That is similar to moving an object on wheels IMHO.

I often place panels in shallow closets too, but I think the AHJ actually likes this situation because there is less likelyhood of something being stored in front of a door. The provisions of 110.26 are set to provide a safe working environment for accessing the electrical equipment. The working space will often be sited by the fire inspector too.

A-1Sparky

The AHJ is this particular situation just happens to be a State Fire Marshal. Unfortunately, he'll write up a number of less serious violations like this, but never even notice the more dangerous ones because he's not real strong as far as electrical goes. But, like the old saying goes, you cant fight city hall. :happysad:

eric9822

Occupation
I often put panelboards in shallow closets with doors, that when opened provide adequate working clearance. That is similar to moving an object on wheels IMHO.

I respectfully disagree. Placing a panelboard in a shallow closet with the panelboard directly in front of the door is common and compliant in my opinion as long as the open door is as wide as the work space width required by 110.26. It would be impossible to access the panel with the door closed and it is unlikely the worker would close the door behind him or her before accessing the panel.

ron

I respectfully disagree. Placing a panelboard in a shallow closet with the panelboard directly in front of the door is common and compliant in my opinion as long as the open door is as wide as the work space width required by 110.26. It would be impossible to access the panel with the door closed and it is unlikely the worker would close the door behind him or her before accessing the panel.

I agree with you, that's why I said ".... when opened provide adequate working clearance"

kwired

Electron manager
I like to locate panels where if a door to the room is open would block the panel, but if closed leaves proper working clearance. This door violates the working space just as much as something else that is easily moved, but yet pretty much guarantees that nothing gets placed in front of the panel except for the door that is easily moved. The panel in a closet idea - the closet still gets used for storage. Even if it is only few inches deep you will open the door and there will be something stashed in there.

eric9822

Occupation
I agree with you, that's why I said ".... when opened provide adequate working clearance"

Fair enough. I was actually disagreeing with your last sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.