Fire Pump & Jockey Pump Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMMB

Occupation
Electrical Manager
School Project with Electrical Fire Pump 60KW, 3-phase , 380V and Jockey Pump 5KW, 3-Phase, 380 V

Please how can sizing the cable feeder for each pump and the required circuit breaker rating as per NEC requirements

Please helping me

Regards for all

When you say 60KW and 5KW....are you really wanting to say 60HP and 5HP. Also when you refer to 380V are you in Canada?

Typically we would see these expressed as 60HP 460V or 230V and so on. Just need additional clarification to be able to accurately assist you.

mike7330

There is a lot more to installing a fire pump, then just wire size and breaker sizes! Where are you going to get your service from? Is the feeder 2 hour fire rated?? And on and on?

Many motors are rated in KW not HP.

LOL...erasing my posts again I see...this is your little playground. Yeah, I'm sure it was combative as you call it. And none of your posts are not....LOL...gotta love it...

Rather than attempt to correct me (which you are wrong and really why my post was deleted...LOL)...how about you answer the guys post. You know one of the requirements of Article 430 is to show the HP ratings on all motors...yet you deleted my last post.

Go ahead Bob....answer his question...been two days now and while I would have answered it if provided information..

PS...he only asked about sizing the conductors

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
LOL...erasing my posts again I see...this is your little playground huh Bob...

Rather than attempt to correct me(which shows you don't know how to answer the question LOL..which is typical for a novice like yourself)...how about you answer the guys post. You know one of the requirements of Article 430 is to show the HP ratings on all motors...yet you deleted my last post.

This is why this forum sucks...Mr.Whitt asks questions and you all have your own opinions and when you don't agree you erase posts...simply amazing.

Go ahead Bob....answer his question...been two days now and while I would have answered it if provided information...you simply remove posts...your a class act...not!

PS...he only asked about sizing the conductors

Paul,

First off I did not touch your post, another mod did that long before I saw it.

Second, there is nothing to answer, I simply pointed out many motors are rated in KW not HP and that seemed to upset you.

As far as Mr Whitt, I don't think he has had posts deleted for ages and he is posting his opinions as recently as tonight.

And lastly if you really think this forum sucks I suggest you stop coming here.:thumbsup:

ron

School Project with Electrical Fire Pump 60KW, 3-phase , 380V and Jockey Pump 5KW, 3-Phase, 380 V

Please how can sizing the cable feeder for each pump and the required circuit breaker rating as per NEC requirements

Please helping me

Regards for all

Look in Article 695. It isn't a long article but it has lots of good info.

NFPA 20 also has good information but not specific to wire and breaker size.

Will you need multiple sources for the fire pump? The pressure maintenance (jockey) pump is handled just like a regular pump.

TMMB

Occupation
Electrical Manager
The operating voltage is 380V - 3Phase , in Saudi Arabia, and sure there are 2 sources (Normal / Standby)

SO how can i calculate the main feeder size / feeder for each pump as well as the circuit breakers ratings

ron

Because of the oddball voltages, you need to get a sample data sheet for what pump/motor you will use. That will tell you the full load amps. Then go to Article 430 to calculate the locked rotor amps.

Then back to 695 for allowable voltage drop while starting and breaker requirements regarding carrying locked rotor amps indefinitely for the utility side and what you need on the generator side. You will also find good info about the specially listed transfer switch.

Then you use 310.15 for wire size and 240 for breaker size.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I agree with Ron. In addition, since this is likely to be an IEC rated motor, the locked rotor amps (LRA) may also be marked directly on the motor or in the equipment literature. IEC may refer to the LRA as stalled rotor current or amps instead. Once the LRA is determined, it becomes fairly straight forward in the procedure Ron outliined.

Status
Not open for further replies.