Electrical Box Mounting Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottford

Is it acceptable to mount an electrical box on pallet racking that is bolted to the floor? I could have the conduit strapped to the wall behind the rack and then bend it to the front. Thanks in advance.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Given the information you provided, yes. However, if you are uncomfortable, a simple call you your local inpector should clear up any question.

resistance

What is on pallet racking?
If it?s a rack that accepts pallets, then I would see a problem with it, if the electrical equipment is subjected to physical damage.

cadpoint

What is the nature of the box? In most cases if this is power to the machine, if it's just a box that acts as a source of power, yes your correct to protect it. If this is a disconnect or even power on or off button control, this might well be interfaced with a panic line that would do the same thing. The disconnect or controls should be at a safe distance subject inrespects to the traveling or the material or product be assemblied and interfaced and maybe even with a panic line that kills power when used.

NFPA 79: Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery is really your source, and I'll say that if there is any human interaction with this "box" other than just having it supply power through it see 79.

JMO...

NFPA 79

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I would see a problem with it, if the electrical equipment is subjected to physical damage.

I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Which part of the install would be a problem if subject to damage?
Actually subject to physical damage is such a grey area. I mean can you install ANYTHING where you know it's going to be damaged?

renosteinke

When you're using a forklift to shift pallets in and out of the racks, there's plenty of chance for damage to happen.

I've seen plenty of pallet racks with electrical added to them, whether it be for receptacles, lights, or something specific (like battery charging or drum heaters). You absolutely MUST take pallet movement into account, or the wires and pipe will be all over the floor within days.

Placement is key, with the electrical stuff typically being mounted behind the horizontal cross pieces. I've also seen boxes placed between stout metal protective 'wings' that are attached to the framing.

A common way to mount the stuff is with the use of beam clamps and mineralacs. One does want to be careful about drilling holes into the framing.

Even when the framing is bolted to the floor and 'permanent,' you want to allow for flexing where the wiring method transitions from the wall to the racking. Those racks move about quite a bit as pallets are pushed into them- even if the feet are bolted down.

A final consideration is whether there are sprinklers in the racks. That can affect your design Remember- the sprinklers are also just as likely to 'go off' when hit by a pallet - and you don't want the water collecting in your boxes.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
When you're using a forklift to shift pallets in and out of the racks, there's plenty of chance for damage to happen.

I've seen plenty of pallet racks with electrical added to them, whether it be for receptacles, lights, or something specific (like battery charging or drum heaters). You absolutely MUST take pallet movement into account, or the wires and pipe will be all over the floor within days.

Placement is key, with the electrical stuff typically being mounted behind the horizontal cross pieces. I've also seen boxes placed between stout metal protective 'wings' that are attached to the framing.

A common way to mount the stuff is with the use of beam clamps and mineralacs. One does want to be careful about drilling holes into the framing.

Even when the framing is bolted to the floor and 'permanent,' you want to allow for flexing where the wiring method transitions from the wall to the racking. Those racks move about quite a bit as pallets are pushed into them- even if the feet are bolted down.

A final consideration is whether there are sprinklers in the racks. That can affect your design Remember- the sprinklers are also just as likely to 'go off' when hit by a pallet - and you don't want the water collecting in your boxes.

Oddly, we can sit here all day long with, "Suppose this happened?" etc. It doesn't matter what we think , unless you, by chance are the AHJ for this situation. Every post here brings you back to, "The code does not prohibit it, ask you local inspector." Throwing out something like the sprinklers is just getting too involved. Heck there are sprinklers in my building, maybe I should install in use covers and GFCI's on my receptacles.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I wouldn't have a problem with it. But I'd use a little common sense. For instance, I wouldn't run emt without a ground wire to feed it and then watch the rack wiggle and pull the joints apart everytime a pallet is loaded onto it, etc etc. Use a little flex if you need to, pull a ground wire, make sure you can strap conduits coming/going and you should be alright. I wouldn't be scared to install some plate/c channel, etc behind the panel to keep it from getting hit by a pallet.

If you're worried it might get hit being mounted on the end of the rack, you could always install a bollard.

resistance

I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Which part of the install would be a problem if subject to damage?
Actually subject to physical damage is such a grey area. I mean can you install ANYTHING where you know it's going to be damaged?
Why aren?t you? It may be a grey area in some situations, but if you have a rack that houses an electrical box?where pallets will be stacked?using a folk lift, or thrown-on by some hired hand. Why would this seem grey?? Seems subjected to me!!! Also, read my question. I asked what is a pallet rack?which means I need clarity. Seems the OP needs lucidity as well!!

resistance

Oddly, we can sit here all day long with, "Suppose this happened?" etc. It doesn't matter what we think , unless you, by chance are the AHJ for this situation. Every post here brings you back to, "The code does not prohibit it, ask you local inspector." Throwing out something like the sprinklers is just getting too involved. Heck there are sprinklers in my building, maybe I should install in use covers and GFCI's on my receptacles.
I believe some common sense plays a roll when installing electrical. So, suppose this happens is a good question to ask yourself!!! Asking opens the door to evaluating—which is a good thing!!! Lets not knock people for being rational.

Status
Not open for further replies.