SOPA: Could this be the end of the Internet as we know it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Today is SOPA blackout day where Internet companies are protesting the The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA). Depending on who you listen to, this could be the worst thing to happen to technology and the Internet, ever. The bill is so broad in it's scope that sites that display any copyrighted materials (even unknowingly), like this one, could be immediately shut down for any infraction.

The first link provided is some background information on what SOPA is all about and how it will affect companies like MIKE HOLT ENTERPRISES and other companies who have an Internet presence. The second link is provided for those who want to take action and contact their representatives in Washington. It's very easy to use by simply providing your zip code and following the directions.
All About SOPA, the Bill That Wants to Cripple Your Internet Very Soon

https://action.eff.org/o/9042/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=8173

One other thing to note, this is not a political discussion and this information is being provided because the passage of this law will have a direct affect on this Forum. Your comments are welcome, however, off-topic, or posts political in nature will be removed. Thanks for listening.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I sent an e-mail to my rep this morning.

This will be a historic event. I predict that our congress critters will get more messages about this act than any before. It's ironic that the Internet that provides us all with an easy means to contact our reps and senators now has it's head on the chopping block.

I read about the ramifications of the acts and how all it would take would be an accusation to get a site's IP address blocked.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
This from QRZ.COM (If there is a ham radio equivalent to MH's site, that would be QRZ)

SOPA, the Stop Online Piracy Act, a bill currently in the US Congress, and PIPA, a similar bill in the US Senate, must be stopped. The bill, sponsored by Hollywood and the Recording industry, threatens to destroy the internet as we know it. Here are a few facts in a nutshell:

Websites will be required to police their own content for copyright violations of all kinds. Any website found in violation of the copyright rights of another party must be shut down, it's internet access blocked by its ISP, and all banking transactions from online payment providers must stop.

There is no burden of proof required to shut down a website. Any claim of copyright infringement could result in a court ordered shutdown.

Website owners will be responsible for policing content uploaded by their users. A violation could be ridiculously minor to qualify such as uploading a trademarked image, a photo of a celebrity, a clipping out of a newspaper, an audio clip of a movie, baseball game or TV show.

Uploading a copyrighted song or video would become a felony under the US Code.

The rules apply to foreign (non-US) websites, requiring US ISP's to block access to those sites.

The bills are opposed by virtually everyone: Google, Facebook, Yahoo, YouTube, AOL, Amazon and more...

Go to Google or any search engine and key in SOPA for more in-depth information.

Folks, this law could also kill QRZ as we know it. We currently have 300,000 photographs on our server, all of which would have to be taken down and manually verified to be in compliance. The same thing would hold true for each biography page, etc.. To be frank, there's no way we could do it. If burdened with this sort of responsibility, QRZ would simply be found in violation and forcibly shut down by the feds, all in an effort to please Hollywood and the Music Industry.

Have a look at any of the hundreds of stories on any search engine, and then contact your Congressman and/or Senator to voice your opposition to this horrible bill. It's not just QRZ that depends on it, it's the whole internet as we know it today.

P.S. Please refrain from commenting on this issue in terms of partisan politics. Both Republicans and Democrats who are on the special interest dole have their hands in this abomination.

I suspect the same requirement about photos, etc., here on this forum would also apply.

realolman

........The second link is provided for those who want to take action and contact their representatives in Washington. It's very easy to use by simply providing your zip code and following the directions.

I would like to use the second link, but it does require your name address etc.... and whenever possible I avoid any site that does so ....I don't see why any of that is necessary ....at least until you get to the part where you are contacting your own congressman.

If you know any links that will accomplish the same thing without collecting names addresses emails etc, I would be happy to use it... I think the law is B.S.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would like to use the second link, but it does require your name address etc.... and whenever possible I avoid any site that does so ....I don't see why any of that is necessary ....at least until you get to the part where you are contacting your own congressman.

If you know any links that will accomplish the same thing without collecting names addresses emails etc, I would be happy to use it... I think the law is B.S.

IMO no member of congress is going to pay attention to a constituent who wouldn't prove that they actually live in their district. After all they are interested in your vote and much as your opinion. Although e-mail contact is OK the best thing you can do is mail a letter, even better if it has a postmark from your district.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician

You'll need your real name and address if you plan on contacting your representative.

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

Not knowing where you live I can't give you the exact page, but this is the House of Representatives website where you can put in your zip code to get to your representative.

realolman

You'll need your real name and address if you plan on contacting your representative.

Not knowing where you live I can't give you the exact page, but this is the House of Representatives website where you can put in your zip code to get to your representative.

I have no problem with providing my name to my congressman...(Although I probably should. :) ) It is the website that I have no idea who operates it or what they do with the information , when they don't know if I'm from Alaska or Kansas, that I don't go for.

Who the heck is blacklist.eff.org?
It's very easy to use by simply providing your zip code and following the directions.
Had they taken my zip code only, and linked me to the congressman's website, I'd have gone with it.

I contacted my rep and senators through their own website, and I did have to provide my name and address etc. there.

I think it is a good idea, for a number of reasons, to remain as anonymous as possible on the internet... which seems to me to be consistent with what this whole thread is about.

Last edited:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

I contacted my rep and senators through their own website, and I did have to provide my name and address etc. there.
That's what I did as well and was about to suggest.

I have fairly regular contact over various issues with my representatives (I phone them too) and have little concern sharing my address and such with them.

realolman

I don't want to bollux up this thread, because I agree with it completely. I apologize for the extent to which I screwed it up already.

arnettda

I went with this link as the other one did not work. It took me to my congressmans web sight where I entered my address directly on the form I sent to him and not a third parties page.

Status
Not open for further replies.