Transformer help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgone

Even in an isolated neutral three phase system the neutral is unintentionally grounded through capacitive coupling.So there exist a definite phase to ground voltage in this case also.............

I've made my bread and butter on "ungrounded" systems in my other life. I'm pretty sure you don't wanna bet your life on readings to ground on that system. I am not speaking sitting on an armchair, you know?

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

I've made my bread and butter on "ungrounded" systems in my other life. I'm pretty sure you don't wanna bet your life on readings to ground on that system. I am not speaking sitting on an armchair, you know?

It is not trying to read the phase to ground voltages in an ungrounded system that is the issue here.Whether there exists a definite phase to ground voltage due to capacitive coupling, that is the issue here.

Besoeker

It is not trying to read the phase to ground voltages in an ungrounded system that is the issue here.Whether there exists a definite phase to ground voltage due to capacitive coupling, that is the issue here.

Just for your edjumacashun.....you want a definite capacitance?
Think about this for an isolated system:

Ungroundedthreephase01.jpg

Perhaps just a more complex that just a definite capacitance. And, of course you might want to know the relative permittivity of the of the insulating materials involved, that of free space, the spacing between the conductors, the spacing from ground, conductor dimensions, length, ....stuff

Then add to that the the leakage resistance phase to ground and phase to phase and phase to neutral and neutral to ground.
Then you just might want to take into account distributed resistance and inductance of the conductors.........

Now what was the issue?

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
7 pages wow.

The poor OP relied on some bad data received from some Oompa-Loompa out in the field. Who knows what the Oompa-Loompa was mesuring or how he had the leads from his meter connected. For all we know one of them could have been stuck up his nose.

The OP did the right thing and went down and checked things himself and solved the problem.

You got to have the Oompa-Loompas to get the job done, so you have to learn how to work around their limited capacity, and that is what the OP did.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
7 pages wow.

The poor OP relied on some bad data received from some Oompa-Loompa out in the field. Who knows what the Oompa-Loompa was mesuring or how he had the leads from his meter connected. For all we know one of them could have been stuck up his nose.

The OP did the right thing and went down and checked things himself and solved the problem.

You got to have the Oompa-Loompas to get the job done, so you have to learn how to work around their limited capacity, and that is what the OP did.

And with that, I don't think the thread has anywhere else to go so we will put it to sleep.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.