mwbc residential

Status
Not open for further replies.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I would use gfci duplex on each phase and feed through to regular duplex.
I could also put a gfci in each opening.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I think your over reacting. There is nothing wrong with a MWBC in residential. Ive seen/wired many houses like this. As long as there on seperate phases and the neutral is seperatly pigtailed there is no concern. With the price of copper today it is a no brainier. MWBCs cut cost in half. GFCIs can be either plug or 2 pole GFCI breaker. GE makes AFCIs without the RCD built in so they are good for shared neutrals.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Dennis,

The last one installed 3 12/3 home runs to the new kitchen with the intent of using 1 for sm. app / disposal another for sm. app / dishwasher and the 3rd for refer / microwave.

None of these circuits require AFCI protection. I wouldn't blink at installing MWBC to any of them. In fact, some of these appliances sometimes require a MWBC all to themselves. :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Dennis,

None of these circuits require AFCI protection. I wouldn't blink at installing MWBC to any of them. In fact, some of these appliances sometimes require a MWBC all to themselves. :)

I saw that he was referring to kitchens but I still would not do it. I have seen many loose noodles on a mwbc blow out the electronics in todays kitchen.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
When I was doing residential we used MWBC's on probably ninety percent of 15 and 20 amp branch circuit home runs.

Roger

iwire

Staff member
Tear them out, quickly and decisively . Now. Slay this dragon before it can rise up. The MWBC is the worst thing in the electrical world right after Thomas Edison. Not really.

I don't see a problem either. I use MWBC in resi work.

I have heard that MWBCs are the work of the devil

View attachment 6254

Oh, they are. And those that practice the use of them are his hands.

Instead of 'mwbc', please refer to it as the 'circuit that shall not be named'. It's better luck. ;)

I feel compelled to share this with you. [h=3]Beware; the Multiwire Branch Circuit[/h]

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I think the larger evil deserves some recognition here, it's the "Multi Wire Service Entrance" oh the horror it can cause. ;)

Roger

iwire

Staff member
I think the larger evil deserves some recognition here, it's the "Multi Wire Service Entrance" oh the horror it can cause. ;)

I think the generator winder is going to have a hard time understanding why we want a dedicated neutral winding per phase. :blink: :)

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
The new wye, or wait, maybe it's the new delta. Ok where do I ground it? :huh:

Attachments

• new wye.JPG
    new wye.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 0

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I think the reason why MWBC in resi gets such a bad rep is because Joe the homeowner gets scared when he sees that extra red wire.
Personally, if you dont understand power systems fully dont modify them. The way I see it, all of today's homes have to be wired in such a way that 30 minutes of Saturday DIY will be enough for Joe the home owner to be safe. :lol:

gndrod

=3 w/g

=3 w/g

I think the reason why MWBC in resi gets such a bad rep is because Joe the homeowner gets scared when he sees that extra red wire.
Personally, if you dont understand power systems fully dont modify them. The way I see it, all of today's homes have to be wired in such a way that 30 minutes of Saturday DIY will be enough for Joe the home owner to be safe. :lol:

I would double the learning curve time when red half-hots get added to the bedroom circuits mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.