Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Is it a receptacle or an appliance? :eek:hmy:

http://ironaway.com/ironing-centers/model-e-342/

The model across the hall has the optional spotlight.

UL White Book said:
TABLES, UTILITY (WWJT)
This listing covers tea or coffee tables, lightweight kitchen and utility tables, portable ironing boards, projector tables, portable cabinets, and desks; all with permanently attached receptacles, and with a separable cord set or permanently attached power supply cord. Except for projector tables which may contain a small lamp for previewing slides, the units contain no electrical load other than optional pilot lights.

The basic standards used to investigate products in this category are UL 498, ??Attachment Plugs and Receptacles??, UL 817, ??Cord Sets and Power Supply Cords??, and UL 1363, ??Temporary Power Taps??.

What do you think? :)

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Hey, isn't that a breaker panel in a bathroom?

And where can I find this person who irons? I can't even find anyone to cook and clean.

WIMaster

It looks like a listed assembly that is definitely not portable.

I know of at least one AHJ in my area that would definitely require me to put it in a GFI breaker and I wouldn't disagree with him in the least. It is within 6'of the sink.

We would also be discussing the panel in the bathroom if is is as it appears to be.

Last edited:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist

if the iron it self was hardwired then i would say maybe an appliance, but it is a receptacle as it is. And once the iron is unplugged the receptacle may attract more appliances since the counter doesn't seem to have a receptacle.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
No idea what's required by NEC, but I'd sleep better with a GFCI. Proper ironing involves spraying water. By nature it's a wet activity

Joethemechanic

Occupation
It certainly involves a lot less 'wet' than most machine tools I have seen. The presence of a minute amount of moisture does not automatically make an unsafe condition.

Yeah but ironing is done by totally untrained people who have never been exposed to anything dangerous. I like to think that those who operate machine tools have a little bit of training.

And sometimes, Ironing is done by children

iwire

Staff member
What do you think? :)

I think it is an appliance with a receptacle that is intended to be used to power portable appliances located in an area that requires GFCI.

I feel this is different than a fart fan disconnect that looks like a two wire receptacle.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Is ironing more or less dangerous than testing ground rods for the phone company?:p

I got a bunch of rods in the ground with separate wires attached, all running into the garage. I'm sending different voltages, and frequencies out there to get some nice baselines. I want to see what the voltage gradient looks like. Talk about bored huh?

hurk27

I think it is an appliance with a receptacle that is intended to be used to power portable appliances located in an area that requires GFCI.

I feel this is different than a fart fan disconnect that looks like a two wire receptacle.

And I agree, the fact most irons have only a two wire connection and the iron could have a faulted heating element and if an older iron is used a person could receive a shock if they touched the iron and the sink.

It most definitely meets the requirement of 210.8(A)(7) without questions in my book?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would also say GFCI protected as the outlet will be used for an iron and the concept of protection for individuals by a sink within 6' should be met.

Status
Not open for further replies.