Classification ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckman

I would like to get some of the maintenance electricians or anyone who like to comment on this working situation. In a maintenance deptment that has managers and supervisor along with electricians and maintenance mechanics which do machanic work only.
A job posting was put up for a lead mechanic and only mechanics put in for the job.

My question is does anyone think the lead mechanic should be incharge of electricians as he should be of the mechanics? Also when people are hired it is in writing who each report to on the job ,and what their duties are and for electricians nowhere does it say you 'report to lead mechanic'.
There is not any type of classification committe or union so management does as likes, we have only HR to appeal to.
I hope to here your reponses.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

I would like to get some of the maintenance electricians or anyone who like to comment on this working situation. In a maintenance deptment that has managers and supervisor along with electricians and maintenance mechanics which do machanic work only.
A job posting was put up for a lead mechanic and only mechanics put in for the job.

My question is does anyone think the lead mechanic should be incharge of electricians as he should be of the mechanics? Also when people are hired it is in writing who each report to on the job ,and what their duties are and for electricians nowhere does it say you 'report to lead mechanic'.
There is not any type of classification committe or union so management does as likes, we have only HR to appeal to.
I hope to here your reponses.

In some set ups there will be functional head and project head for each project.May be in your case,if the electrical foreman is the functional head,you may report to him directly.

jimmac49

Puck I would be careful here. Someone that is higher in the food chain than you wants the guy in charge. If you go to HR complaining you may find yourself on the outside looking in. What qualifications were in the job description when it was posted? Did it omit electrical types? You can bring your concerns to your electrical foreman if he is trust worthy. Otherwise just roll with the punches and see how it goes. As long as he doesn't tell you to do anything dangerous bear with it. Even in a Union Shop some jobs are appointed by Management and there is not much left for arguement. Management's postition sometimes is that people at that level don't have to know the work, as much as to be able to manage the people who do the work. Personally I diagree with that arguement but it thats the way it goes down sometimes.

cadpoint

I would surmise that the company values their mechanics more than their electricians. Believe me your not the only one living through this!

It seems it just the way it is. Frankly, you might not have the machine training or skills to understand the requirements thus you’re not qualified. I will totally agree that there is in place a peeking order in your company, and I would not be worried that “Joe” verses ”Charlie” gets this Job.

I would be worried or concerned if there is a radical change for the worst in respects to safety practices or procedures.

It’s just political, just grin and bear with it.

I just did a short stint in a plant and it was oddly related to electrical but was a mechanical assembly position, don’t think that I didn’t hear the phrase, “Oh you damn electrician”, once or twice. It was a great job, great boss and he knew how to facilitate the employee, and he got to hire his own people.

I’d frankly sit this one out and let the chips fall where they will. I believe it’s stated in the Bible that the Good Lord will not burden you with more than you can handle. (and I am paraphrasing)

Good Luck

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There is probably an MBA further up the food chain.

I just don't see an issue here with a person of a particular background supervising someone in a different field.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
If you look around your shop at the mechanics, you will probably be able to figure out who is going to get the job before it is even announced. This is because the company is trying to look fair in their hiring/promotion practices, (it's an HR thing) but in reality they already know who they want to give the position too. Plus, I don't see in your description as to why you think the electricians are going to answer to the lead mechanic. Sounds like they just need a new lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.