Panel Cover Attachment

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

Does a cover have to have intimate contact with a panel? Or are the screws sufficient. Photo below shows gypsum/spackle layer between the 2. DSCF0817.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
That is a good question.

Most flush covers have a spring loaded area that "floats" to adjust to match the breakers depending on set back of the panel in the wall. I would think if designed that way they would be acceptable otherwise why design them that way. They could put some kind of device to ensure there is a bond if necessary but apparently the cover screws get it done.

svh19044

I would fall back on manufacturers installation instructions, which usually state, even with marks, that the box is to be at minimum flush with the drywall so that the panel cover can fit up flush against the box.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is the setback more than 1/4"?

312.3 Position in Wall.
In walls of concrete, tile, or other noncombustible material, cabinets shall be installed so that the front edge of the cabinet is not set back of the finished surface more than 6 mm (? in.). In walls constructed of wood or other combustible material, cabinets shall be flush with the finished surface or project therefrom.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I did not measure it - very close though
If it is not a combustible service then 1/4" . I got hit on a receptacle box that was flush with the sheetrock but the tile guys came and added about 1/2". I don't see the problem with tile but code is 1/4"

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Are there MWBCs in that panel with those breakers?

Hard to count the neutrals, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I swear I see a MWBC with both conductors connected to one phase. Maybe it's just the camera angle

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Are there MWBCs in that panel with those breakers?

Hard to count the neutrals, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I swear I see a MWBC with both conductors connected to one phase. Maybe it's just the camera angle

I think the MWBC's are on opposite phases. They are not on adjacent breakers with handle ties and would not be compliant today, but were acceptable in the past.

I only see two MWBC's. The red wires on the bottom left tandem is one side. The corresponding blacks are on the breaker above that and (maybe on same phase... oops) on right side of panel.

Added: Looked again, hard to tell which breaker the black on the right side of panel is connected to.

kwired

Electron manager
It is a little odd to see a single phase panel with this low of a number of spaces that does not have an even number of connections for each bus. There should be 4 poles for A phase and only 2 poles for B phase in this panel.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Yeah it looks like the blacks for the MWBCs are on the right, and one breaker up (same phase) that's a fire just waiting to happen.

iwire

Staff member
So wannabee MWBCs with both hots on the same phase are not a fire hazard?

It is not a MWBC if they are on the same phase.

Even with them on the same phase it would depend on many things if it was a fire hazard or not.

But most importantly they are not on the same phases in the picture.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Notice I called it a "WANNABEE" MWBC.

And I don't know haw you can be sure where those blacks are going without a better picture

Are you sure you're a German?

Last edited:

masterinbama

Does a cover have to have intimate contact with a panel? Or are the screws sufficient. Photo below shows gypsum/spackle layer between the 2. View attachment 6345

It is a MWBC. One of the blacks goes almost to the bottom of the panel and loops back up to the bottom breaker of the center twin on the right. The other black follows the red down and across the bottom of the panel and lands on the center breaker on the left side.

kwired

Electron manager
It is a MWBC. One of the blacks goes almost to the bottom of the panel and loops back up to the bottom breaker of the center twin on the right. The other black follows the red down and across the bottom of the panel and lands on the center breaker on the left side.

And if it lands on the bottom breaker it is not a proper MWBC as that is the same phase the red wire is connected to. I gave up trying to tell which breaker it actually is connected to. Need a different angle of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.