Feeders feeding equipment in separate building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nietz001

230.1 tells me a building cannot be supplied though another building, got it. What about feeding a load in one building from another building? Both buildings are physically connected and I would not need to go outside at all. I know 230 is referring to service conductors and I am talking about feeders. Can I run feeders or branch circuits from building to another? This seems like a safety issue.
Help Please

raider1

Staff member
Are these 2 separate buildings according to the Building code? What I mean is are the buildings separated by a fire wall that would create 2 separate buildings?

Article 225 deals with outside branch circuits and feeders. So if what you have is 2 buildings that are separated by a fire wall the Part II of Article 225 would apply and the building could only be served by a single feeder. (See 225.30)

Now if the buildings are not truly separate buildings as determined by the building code then Article 225 would not apply and Article 215 would apply. Article 215 does not have any restrictions to the number of feeders run within a single building.

Chris

resistance

My question would be: Do they have separate meters?
It they do, then the answer is no you can?t.
Also, how did you come to calling them feeders??

kwired

Electron manager
My question would be: Do they have separate meters?
It they do, then the answer is no you can?t.
Also, how did you come to calling them feeders??

If it is not service it has to be a feeder or a branch circuit.

Are these 2 separate buildings according to the Building code? What I mean is are the buildings separated by a fire wall that would create 2 separate buildings?

Article 225 deals with outside branch circuits and feeders. So if what you have is 2 buildings that are separated by a fire wall the Part II of Article 225 would apply and the building could only be served by a single feeder. (See 225.30)

Now if the buildings are not truly separate buildings as determined by the building code then Article 225 would not apply and Article 215 would apply. Article 215 does not have any restrictions to the number of feeders run within a single building.

Chris

Totally agree.

If this is a separate building It can have a separate service. The service can not pass through the first building to get there. It could be supplied by a single feeder from the first building. It can not be supplied by more than one feeder though.

Since the buildings are attached they would not need to be called separate buildings even if there is 2 hour fire wall between them and you could have distrubution equipment in one building and an unlimited number of circuits supplying the other, but if so you can't run a service or feeder to it from someplace else either.

Clear as mud now?:D

resistance

Stronger point: Lets say it is a branch circuit (Which I believe the OP means to say), and the plans are to serve a load in another unit of a two occupancy building. This alone is an NEC violation—as the unit being served has no means to disconnect at the source.

Last edited:

resistance

If it is not service it has to be a feeder or a branch circuit.
What’s your point?? Can you agree one is different from the other?

I agree, but the OP has not specified how they came to the conclusion that they have a feeder. That’s why I asked above.

resistance

It could be. :)
Regardless, your knowledge is highly respected :cool::D.
I was making the point that if the structure has two meters, then this would indicate that the property “may have” two separate tenants. Which would forbid the OP from extending a branch circuit from one building to the next. I also asked the OP to define the installation (Feeder vs branch circuit). I see it as a branch circuit—based on the comment made by the OP.

Last edited:

Nietz001

Thanks for all the help,
Let me try and clarify the situation. The load is a 480 volt VFD & 100 hp Motor. The building the equipment is to installed in has a 120/208 service, the adjoining building has a 480 volt service. I'm considering bringing the power from the 480 volt service and avoid the transformer. Stepping up from 208 to 480 with this size load is not ideal. Both buildings are within a University setting and are attached physically but separated by an expansion joint and fire wall. I looked up the definition of Feeder in Art 100 and this is the correct term for what I'm doing. From what I gather this is allowed by the NEC. There are separate meters but one owner if that matters.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks for all the help,
Let me try and clarify the situation. The load is a 480 volt VFD & 100 hp Motor. The building the equipment is to installed in has a 120/208 service, the adjoining building has a 480 volt service. I'm considering bringing the power from the 480 volt service and avoid the transformer. Stepping up from 208 to 480 with this size load is not ideal. Both buildings are within a University setting and are attached physically but separated by an expansion joint and fire wall. I looked up the definition of Feeder in Art 100 and this is the correct term for what I'm doing. From what I gather this is allowed by the NEC. There are separate meters but one owner if that matters.

Details make all the difference.

I would say you are permitted to supply this load according to 225.30(D).

But I also think you must enter the second building and place a service rated disconnect near the existing service or feeder disconnecting means that currently supplies that building.

I could be wrong about needing it placed near the other service or feeder disconnecting means but even if so, it must still have a service rated disconnect near point of entry to the second building. Check with the AHJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.