Service Panels in Bedrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff48356

I realize that service panels aren't allowed in bathrooms, but what about bedrooms? Is there any code prohibiting them in bedrooms? I doubt very many people would want the breaker box in their bedroom.

Minuteman

My daughter rented a duplex a few years ago. The panel was in the bedroom near the closet, so that the closet door would hide it when the door was fully opened. It was painted the same as the wall to blend in.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
My daughter rented a duplex a few years ago. The panel was in the bedroom near the closet, so that the closet door would hide it when the door was fully opened. It was painted the same as the wall to blend in.

Nice. :cool: I wouldn't mind my panel being in my bedroom illegally hidden behind a nice Van Gogh rip off.
Although nothing beats the accessibility of my surface mounted panel in my basement when wanting to add circuits.

resistance

Nice. :cool: I wouldn't mind my panel being in my bedroom illegally hidden behind a nice Van Gogh rip off.
Although nothing beats the accessibility of my surface mounted panel in my basement when wanting to add circuits.
Isn?t accessibility nice. Especially when you have to add a circuit to a clients home!? Love it!! I see many hang pictures over them.

kwired

Electron manager
I realize that service panels aren't allowed in bathrooms, but what about bedrooms? Is there any code prohibiting them in bedrooms? I doubt very many people would want the breaker box in their bedroom.

They might prefer it there instead of the living room. When dealing with small apartments places where it can go can sometimes be pretty limited. Bathroom is off limits, most other places are not as long as 110.26 can be satisfied.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We've installed them in the bedroom of one-bedroom apartments, sometimes behind the door. Code wise there is no prohibition of a panel in a bedroom.

resistance

It's almost always done in an apartment. I haven?t done an apartment in over 10 years, but when I did, we had to install over a 100 panels. I believe every unit had (1) one in a room behind the door.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
It's almost always done in an apartment. I haven?t done an apartment in over 10 years, but when I did, we had to install over a 100 panels. I believe every unit had (1) one in a room behind the door.

Yep. I've been doing this since the 70's and I can't believe that the question still comes up all the time.

Now the OP said service panel, but I'm assuming that he meant Sub-panel, but I could be wrong as I didn't see where he was from, but I don't know any utility or fire department around here that wouldn't require the meter/main on the outside of the building.

resistance

Yep. I've been doing this since the 70's and I can't believe that the question still comes up all the time.

Now the OP said service panel, but I'm assuming that he meant Sub-panel, but I could be wrong as I didn't see where he was from, but I don't know any utility or fire department around here that wouldn't require the meter/main on the outside of the building.
Exactly!!!! Unfortunately, they didn’t let us do the main service. For some reason, the company was highly political:thumbsdown:, and seem to want to limit some from specific installations. This is why I started my own company. Was sick of all the favoritism!!! One thing I did loose, is being involved in new construction on an almost continuos basis. Not having continuos exposure has made me less aware of specifics in installing specific equipment. One thing I gained, was an overall knowledge of the trade (New, and old construction). Hold on, I just lied. I actually quit that company (the political one), and started working for a company that did all old contraction projects (paid very well). Then, I decided to branch off on my own, and owner of the company helped me, by selling me one of his company vans. I just found out he sold his company. I use to send him work, and he would send me work. Great person!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.