When is conductor considered non-current carrying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricus

If it is a ground, or not a feeder or branch circuit?

Then are these the categories:

1. Feeders (current carrying)
2. Branch Circuits (current carrying)
3. Control Circuits (not current carrying?)
4. Ground (not current carrying)

To save space and materials if I have a 3/4" EMT with 8 current carrying branch (circuit) conducts and want to add 3 more control wires can I? I'm not exceeding my conductor current rating after derating and I'm not exceeding my conduit fill.

raider1

Staff member
310.15(B)(2)(a) Exception#1 (2008 NEC) or 310.15(B)(3)(a) second paragraph (2011 NEC) allow you to omit control circuits from counting as current carrying conductors for the purposes of ampacity adjustment for more than 3 current carrying conductors in a raceway.

Chris

electricus

K8MHZ
Even if you are OK with the NEC, there may be some interference issues resulting from putting control wires in the same conduit as branch circuit wiring.

I try to avoid the practice whenever possible.​

Even when the branch circuit is 120/480vac and the control circuit is 120vac, you separate the 120vac branch circuit out?

raider1 310.15(B)(2)(a) Exception#1 (2008 NEC) or 310.15(B)(3)(a) second paragraph (2011 NEC) allow you to omit control circuits from counting as current carrying conductors for the purposes of ampacity adjustment for more than 3 current carrying conductors in a raceway

I did come across this later, and it also states in 725.51 that they don't need to be counted if the current is less than 10% of the rating of the conductor.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Even when the branch circuit is 120/480vac and the control circuit is 120vac, you separate the 120vac branch circuit out?

As a design issue, yes. It's much easier to troubleshoot problems if they are kept separate, even if interference may not be a problem itself.

If all you care about is Code minimum, that's a different story. I do a considerable amount of troubleshooting so I may have a different perspective than you have, if all you are concerned with is the initial installation.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Are the control wires directly associated with the power wires in the conduit? If not you can't put them in the same raceway. See 725.48(B)(1) for Class 1 control circuits or 725.136(A) for Class 2 or 3 control circuits.

electricus

As a design issue, yes. It's much easier to troubleshoot problems if they are kept separate, even if interference may not be a problem itself.

If all you care about is Code minimum, that's a different story. I do a considerable amount of troubleshooting so I may have a different perspective than you have, if all you are concerned with is the initial installation.

Excellent point, I didn't consider it from a troubleshooting point.

don_resqcapt19
Are the control wires directly associated with the power wires in the conduit? If not you can't put them in the same raceway. See 725.48(B)(1) for Class 1 control circuits or 725.136(A) for Class 2 or 3 control circuits.​

This is also a good point.

For both of these points I'm now going to keep them separate.

Status
Not open for further replies.