Today is Wed, and i need an answer by tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullheimer

I have a bud that gives me some work occasionally, he doesnt do much of anything that has electrical and he generally pays me what i want. A couple of crummy jobs a year usually.

Two years ago he built a spec and i wired it for cheap, something like $300 a day. Back then, here in WA you could, if you were a general contractor, wire it yourself.

He is building another one and has agreed to pay me $40/hr under his permit. Ooops! Did i say back in the day??? Yes i did, because now he can NO LONGER pull and Electrical Permit. He has asked me to pull it now.

Question, i am slower than molasses roughing in (or doing much of anything else)... I know my license is worth something too, and he claims he is going to be working beside me. (He made that claim before and i ended up wiring the whole thing almost).

So, this house i think is about 1800sf, so i figure two of us four or five days. (esp if he doesnt do anything). i would make at 40/hr x ten hour day 400 a day. or $2000 at the most for the rough in. $3sf x 1800sf is $5400 and $2.5x1800 is $4500. materials cant be more than $1500 so you can see that $2000 plus two days to trim out is about $3000 if i do it all as planned 4 days to rough in, that is about right i think, so want should i do? hit him up for more or just go with the flow, his jobsite is an hours drive from my house, he is paying for the permit if i want, but not gas. what do you think. i start TOMORROW!

ps i have had no work at all lately and not much on the horizon and am in dire need of moolah.

Last edited:

bullheimer

hmmmm. lets see, i just did a panel change for my competitor for $30/hr. howz that for desperate?

hey comon guys, there is no wrong answer! but it is getting late. 10pm pst

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have 4 minutes left-- do what you have to do. If you have no work then at least this is something. I would not hesitate if we were that slow. I wouldn't like it and I would talk to him about travel time being it is your license.

growler

so want should i do? hit him up for more or just go with the flow.

You should do whatever you think is best for you.

The same poker hand can be a winner or a loser depending on how it's played.

The good thing about working for an hourly rate is that it's very safe . There is no reason to hurry and try to finish quickly so do a really good job.

bullheimer

thanks for all replies. i will try to figure out how much i would make at 2.5sf minus the materials and make that. see if it flys. he will also have to get a trainee card in case somebody stops by to check. i gotta get or jet or whatever. bye

bullheimer

so i get in my car with all my tools loaded for bear, call him after i leave the house and he is NOT ready to start. this from the guy that was trying hard to get me to start YESTERDAY. so here i am. :ashamed:

40x $60= $2400 or 40x$40= $1600, well that opens my eyes, not doing it for less that $2g was my desire.

i like your line of thinking. $60 is what i charged for the extras on my last job, which i bid out figuring $65/hr. for other contractors i do busy work sometimes for as low as $60. i am liking these numbers alot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.