Horse barn lighting need some input

Status
Not open for further replies.

KVA

Just got back from looking at a hell of a wiring job in a horse barn. Romex everywhere stapled to beams and keyless fixtures in the stalls and the ceilings are about 8 ft high on the 1st floor it's a 3 story barn.

She told me the one horse actually eats the light bulbs! So she wants to change all the lights to the "hay bow" (think thats what they are called. The problem is the head clearance in the stall if the horse jumps it might knock itself out on one of those. Even if I went flurocescent and set them between the beams the horse can still jump up smash the lights with it's head.

She also wants the walk way lit but again the head clearance is 8 foot.

Any ideas?

svh19044

hay bow? high bay?

8' ceilings in a horse barn? How about some IP65 fluorescent fixtures?

I'm sorry, but some times this stuff is just hard to follow.

Last edited:

ceb58

To try and comply with Article 547 you may need to go with the vapor proof fluorescent or find a way to install recessed cans with something like a shower trim ring.

KVA

I got you, it's a three-story Shetland pony barn.

If that's what you call it:lol: I grew up at the shore I know nothing about barns just what i seen today. Romex about a foot away from where the horse was chewing hay and quad box not gfi protected right next to the hose hookup. And the keyless lights just hanging right in the middle of the stalls waiting for the horse to hop up and smack the bulb...OR EAT IT! :blink:

ceb58

I will say my experience with horse people is they some times don't like to pay the bill or want you to do the cheapest job you can. This is why they have the mess they have.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
If this sounds stupid, just ignore it..

How about some rope lights? I just got done installing rope lights around a gazebo, (20X30) to make some uplighting. It actually is fairly bright. Tuck this into the corners where the horse can't get to it. Maybe? Run it the length of the barn??

PetrosA

It might have horses in it now, but it was probably built as a milk barn. Very common around here to see re-purposed barns for horses. I would look at the framing and figure out how to get enclosed lights somewhere where the horses aren't going to get at them, and nothing less than EMT in there. Maybe some kind of LEDs would be a good option.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Hold a meeting to discuss options, but don't invite the horses. They're just a bunch of neigh-sayers. :roll:

kwired

Electron manager
8 foot ceiling - the horse is going to get to it even if in corners - except maybe the shetland pony (they are smaller horses for those that don't know). Nothing can go in this room except lighting as it will get destroyed.

If you were cooped up in a place like that you would destroy things too - just for self entertainment.

The lights will need some kind of guard - not wire basket guards - heavy gauge expanded metal. If you do expose raceway it needs to be RMC and strapped often.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
It only needs to be strapped to code, no more, no less. :)

tell that to the horse. they break stuff. and if they are neurotic race horsie types, they crib
on their stalls, pipes, anything at all. and if they are race horsie owner types, they chew
on everything, or ask their attorney to do so for them.

if you are piping it, keep the piping as far away from the bottom sides of beams as possible.
if you have power outlets, i was looking at ocal yard ells, with pvc buried in the ground instead
of ran on stalls, etc.

and a word from my electrical engineer, who's done dairy barns. grounding is critical for the
barn. cows won't give milk if you have stray voltage, and while regular horses aren't probably
gonna be noticeably affected, racehorses are another thing altogether.

use the same design strategy you'd use in a county jail, and you should be fine.

i did a design build on a 24 stall horse barn, and was going to bid it as well, and after
interacting with the barn owner to be, who was a very nice person, i decided to pass on
doing it, took the design fee, and walked away.

defining the scope of work, and deciding on things like fixture types proved impossible.
"we'd like something *upscale*", and upon finding out what upscale costs, it became
$36 home depot lights, then they looked ugly, so it went back the other way.....

then, it was, "can you make the overhead power lines go underground?"

yes, for $117,000.

"why is it so expensive?"

'cause 350' of the ditch has to be 36" deep, in sandstone.

"can't you just rent a jackhammer and get two guys from home depot to
dig it in a day?"

waiter, check please.

and that's all i know about horse barn owners. your milage may vary.

Last edited:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
tell that to the horse. they break stuff. and if they are neurotic race horsie types, they crib
on their stalls, pipes, anything at all. and if they are race horsie owner types, they chew
on everything, or ask their attorney to do so for them.

if you are piping it, keep the piping as far away from the bottom sides of beams as possible.
if you have power outlets, i was looking at ocal yard ells, with pvc buried in the ground instead
of ran on stalls, etc.

and a word from my electrical engineer, who's done dairy barns. grounding is critical for the
barn. cows won't give milk if you have stray voltage, and while regular horses aren't probably
gonna be noticeably affected, racehorses are another thing altogether.

use the same design strategy you'd use in a county jail, and you should be fine.

i did a design build on a 24 stall horse barn, and was going to bid it as well, and after
interacting with the barn owner to be, who was a very nice person, i decided to pass on
doing it, took the design fee, and walked away.

defining the scope of work, and deciding on things like fixture types proved impossible.
"we'd like something *upscale*", and upon finding out what upscale costs, it became
$36 home depot lights, then they looked ugly, so it went back the other way.....

then, it was, "can you make the overhead power lines go underground?"

yes, for $117,000.

"why is it so expensive?"

'cause 350' of the ditch has to be 36" deep, in sandstone.

"can't you just rent a jackhammer and get two guys from home depot to
dig it in a day?"

waiter, check please.

and that's all i know about horse barn owners. your milage may vary.

Well, I must say that is well said. You mean it's not just where I do business that there are customers like that?

Buck Parrish

I agree with some one above. Most horse barns I have bid. The owner ussually can't or don't want to put much money in it. That 8ft cieling is to low for any thing to be installed in the stalls in my opinion.
We have done several large wooden barns for horses and goats. Here's a sample of a small metal barn for young race horses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GhHsX08p1M

kwired

Electron manager
It only needs to be strapped to code, no more, no less. :)

That is all it needs to meet NEC. It you actually want it to last for more than a few months you must exceed the NEC minimums.

If you replace 1/2 RMC with equivelant sized solid steel and subject it to 500 - 2000 pound animals it too will eventually show some signs of destruction if not braced or supported well enough.

The particular breed of animal housed sometimes makes a difference. Some are more aggressive than others, but they have pretty incredible strength - all the more reason why they were used for work before we started making self powered machines.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Well, I must say that is well said. You mean it's not just where I do business that there are customers like that?

they are cooked in the same pot....

sometimes they are flavored with tabasco, sometimes with BBQ sauce,
sometimes marinated in white wine, some are unseasoned, and some
are worthy of a straight pepper diet, but they all come out of the same pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.