Horse barn lighting need some input

Status
Not open for further replies.

KVA

These are the lights she wants installed. And don't quote me on the ceiling height I took a guess based on my height 6'5 so could be 9 foot all i know is the horses head is not far from the ceiling. Anyone know the name of these type of lights?

Stall-Dust-Proof-Lights.jpg

svh19044

That looks like a hazardous location vapor tight with a CFL.

RAB just came out with an LED vapor tight as well. I guess that you are no longer worried about the fixture hanging down? You are looking at about 10".

Last edited:

ritelec

8' ceilings in a horse barn?

I'm sorry, but some times this stuff is just hard to follow.

8 foot is what i typed how is that hard to follow?

That was a bit uncalled for.

And don't quote me on the ceiling height I took a guess based on my height 6'5 so could be 9 foot

Might an apology be in order?

Nevermind.........ya probably don't have it in you.

............but you probably will come back at me with some type of .............

It's all good.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
These are the lights she wants installed. And don't quote me on the ceiling height I took a guess based on my height 6'5 so could be 9 foot all i know is the horses head is not far from the ceiling. Anyone know the name of these type of lights?

Stall-Dust-Proof-Lights.jpg

That is not a hazardous location fixture, it is simply a vaportight fixture.

It would be acceptable in Art 547 areas. It is not very critter resistant if they can reach it. It is made of cast aluminum, and will not take much abuse at all - it will just snap if it does.

10 feet is too low for some horses, others 10 feet will be just fine. I would not have a problem with it on a 8 or 9 foot ceiling in a walkway or other area where horse is not normally left unattended, but in a stall where they spend time alone ... I wouldn't trust it.

Strife

Not sure how big this barn is, but a few 400W HID floods placed in some strategic areas (away from the horses and not obstructed) should do the job.

Just got back from looking at a hell of a wiring job in a horse barn. Romex everywhere stapled to beams and keyless fixtures in the stalls and the ceilings are about 8 ft high on the 1st floor it's a 3 story barn.

She told me the one horse actually eats the light bulbs! So she wants to change all the lights to the "hay bow" (think thats what they are called. The problem is the head clearance in the stall if the horse jumps it might knock itself out on one of those. Even if I went flurocescent and set them between the beams the horse can still jump up smash the lights with it's head.

She also wants the walk way lit but again the head clearance is 8 foot.

Any ideas?

ritelec

Angle iron welded into a box shape, mounted around the fixture so the horse can't reach the fixture...........

Unless he has a really really pointy nose...........but then he would probably be an ant eater or aardvark and not a horse.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
That looks like a hazardous location vapor tight with a CFL.

RAB just came out with an LED vapor tight as well. I guess that you are no longer worried about the fixture hanging down? You are looking at about 10".

rab makes a LED wall washer that could be mounted on the side of the beam up as high as you could get it...
they don't draw any power at all, can be dimmed if you want, and would be about the least likely to get
ripped down....

http://www.rabweb.com/product_detail.php?product=WPLED10DC

i've used these... they are a pretty nice installation.

kwired

Electron manager
...they don't draw any power at all, can be dimmed if you want...

Cool - no wires needed:D

...and would be about the least likely to get
ripped down....

If it can be reached, it can be ripped down. Something vandal resistant is a start, but remember there is a lot more potential force behind these vandals than human vandals.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Cool - no wires needed:D

If it can be reached, it can be ripped down. Something vandal resistant is a start,
but remember there is a lot more potential force behind these vandals than human vandals.

nope.. just have to change the plutonium module every six years..

and anything can be destroyed, but in looking at the detail, i'd put them up tight against the lid,
so the critter would have to work at it a bit more.... screw off to the beam, up as high as it'd go.

Status
Not open for further replies.