groundrod for lighting pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
never. not a required code, unless its called for in the plans
You might want to read the definition of "Structure" in article 100 and then read 250.32 before you say never.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Roger brings up an interesting point if the "structure" is served by more than one circuit.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
That's quite a stretch to consider a light pole structure...
Not really, it meets the definition wording and an inspector would certainly have a strong point.
also does a 2 pole 208 volt circuit to a lightpole considered one or two circuits?
It is a single circuit, current is flowing in and out of each conductor to complete the circuit.

Roger

iwire

Staff member
That's quite a stretch to consider a light pole structure

Not at all, and in addition to the other recommendations to look at the definition in Article 100 I will add this.

The NFPA must consider a light pole a structure as they saw a need for an exception to relive the disconnecting means requirements for light poles.

225.32 Location. The disconnecting means shall be installed
either inside or outside of the building or structure
served or where the conductors pass through the building or
structure. The disconnecting means shall be at a readily
accessible location nearest the point of entrance of the conductors.
For the purposes of this section, the requirements
in 230.6 shall be utilized.

Exception No. 3: For towers or poles used as lighting
standards, the disconnecting means shall be permitted to be
located elsewhere on the premises.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
You might want to read the definition of "Structure" in article 100 and then read 250.32 before you say never.

Roger

Yes a light pole could be called a structure, and as we know every structure requires a disconnecting means per 225.32 However 225.32 EX 3 does not require a disconnecting means at each pole, so no disconnect, no ground rod.

iwire

Staff member
Yes a light pole could be called a structure, and as we know every structure requires a disconnecting means per 225.32 However 225.32 EX 3 does not require a disconnecting means at each pole, so no disconnect, no ground rod.

The exception for the disconnecting means has nothing to do with the need for a ground rod.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
However 225.32 EX 3 does not require a disconnecting means at each pole, so no disconnect, no ground rod.
Tom, as Bob points out, the disconnect exception is not tied to the need for a ground rod.

Roger

scotteng

Occupation
Professional Engineer
I am of the opinion that ground rods at light poles:
1. Are not required by code (assuming this is an uninhabitable light pole served by a single circuit).
2. Do no added harm if installed.
3. May be benificial if installed by providing a low impedence path to ground in the event of a lightning strike.

Bowhunter

Gentlemen, the only reason for a ground rod at a light pole would be for lightning protection. I is not required by the NEC. If installed it won't hurt anything; but I don't know why anyone would want to spend all that extra money. It might be in the job specifications.
Where some electricians get into trouble is when they think they can drive a ground rod at the pole in place of running the equipment grounding conductor with the circuit conductors. This is dangerous and is a serious code violation.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Bow, the reason for the ground rod is not in question and I will say again, read the definition of "Structure". An inspector could very easily require one at every pole, pedastal, porta john, (if fed with power) etc... and you would have a losing argument convincing him it is not required.

Roger

jumper

Gentlemen, the only reason for a ground rod at a light pole would be for lightning protection. I is not required by the NEC. If installed it won't hurt anything; but I don't know why anyone would want to spend all that extra money. It might be in the job specifications.
Where some electricians get into trouble is when they think they can drive a ground rod at the pole in place of running the equipment grounding conductor with the circuit conductors. This is dangerous and is a serious code violation.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.