Inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you all think that the requierment of 210.52(E)(1) allows the receptacles required @ front & back of the dwelling, accessible from grade if you have to go up 3-5 steps to a porch or deck?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Do you all think that the requierment of 210.52(E)(1) allows the receptacles required @ front & back of the dwelling, accessible from grade if you have to go up 3-5 steps to a porch or deck?

From 2008, 210.52(E)3 requires at least one on the porch, but that installation does not relieve one from having to comply with (E)1.

So, you have to have both, one on the porch and one in the front and back accessible while standing at grade level.

Outside receptacles

Outside receptacles

Sorry for NOT properly titling my message.
Thank you for your replys. This has been the way that I have been calling it as well but had some questions from others.

TobyD

In our area this rule is slacked on quite often.But, in the Tn. area we have to place outdoor recpt. (if only one is being installed) where that they're are at least close enough to the edge of the porch to be accessible from grade.Now I think if the porch is 48sq.ft you have to have a recpt.,in all reality most often you could reach that from grade.I can't recite the code ref. but, I think this is at least an ammendment in Tn.

John120/240

For a front porch with 3 steps we do that all the time. At the rear of the home with a wood

deck is the w/p recptacle reachable from grade ? If so good to go. If not accessible then add

another one.

97catintenn

210.52(E) Outdoor Outlets.(1) One-Family and Two-Family Dwellings. For a onefamily
dwelling and each unit of a two-family dwelling that
is at grade level, at least one receptacle outlet accessible
while standing at grade level and located not more than
2.0 m (61⁄2 ft) above grade shall be installed at the front and
back of the dwelling.

So, you can install 6.5' above grade, which maybe at deck level, and still pass. Walking up 3 steps over to it, does not make it accessible while standing at grade level.

John120/240

For a front porch with 3 steps we do that all the time. At the rear of the home with a wood

deck is the w/p recptacle reachable from grade ? If so good to go. If not accessible then add

another one.

Right or wrong that is standard procedure here. Also don't forget one for the A/C unit,

might be able to kill two birds with one stone.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
From 2008, 210.52(E)3 requires at least one on the porch, but that installation does not relieve one from having to comply with (E)1.

So, you have to have both, one on the porch and one in the front and back accessible while standing at grade level.

I don't buy that because the receptacle will still below the 6 1/2 feet above grade.

210.52 E (1)

(E) Outdoor Outlets. Outdoor receptacle outlets shall be
installed in accordance with (E)(1) through (E)(3). [See
210.8(A)(3).]
(1) One-Family and Two-Family Dwellings. For a onefamily
dwelling and each unit of a two-family dwelling that
is at grade level, at least one receptacle outlet accessible
while standing at grade level and located not more than
2.0 m (61⁄2 ft) above grade shall be installed at the front and
back of the dwelling.

[

(3) Balconies, Decks, and Porches. Balconies, decks, and
porches that are accessible from inside the dwelling unit
shall have at least one receptacle outlet installed within the
perimeter of the balcony, deck, or porch. The receptacle
shall not be located more than 2.0 m (61⁄2 ft) above the
balcony, deck, or porch surface.

Last edited:

97catintenn

I see your point now. Everybody has front and rear decks now. So, we have outlets on the decks, and now in addition to that, we also have to outlets installed that we can access from the yard without getting on the deck. That sounds pretty silly in most cases. You'll end up with an easy to get to outlet on the deck and one over there in between the bushes that you have to step into the mulched flower bed to access. :slaphead:

Gac66610

IMO does not read like it, but if you put it close enough to the edge of porch and/or deck where it can be accessed from grade level through railings while being attacked by a rose bush ... you're fine:D

Status
Not open for further replies.